1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Stock type seat with cage and 5 point harness question

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by clone93gt, Oct 22, 2009.

1. clone93gt

I have a questions about mounting a stock seat with a roll cage. I really do want to be correct and to be safe. I know that alot of guys do things thier way and alot of tracks will let them get away with it. I really want to make sure I can pass anywhere and Im safe doing this.

Just wondering what the following interpretation means for a stock mustang seat.

6:2 UPHOLSTERY, SEATS
    The driver's seat of any car in competition must be constructed, braced, mounted, and upholstered to provide full back and shoulder support. The driver's seat must be supported on the bottom and back by the frame or crossmember. Except as noted in SFI Specifications, seats must be bolted with four bolts (and nuts and washers) on the bottom and one bolt in the rear into crossbar; all bolts must go into frame or crossbraces. Ball-lock pins for seat attachment prohibited in all classes. All seats must be upholstered, or as noted under Class or SFI Requirements. Properly braced, framed, supported, and constructed seats of aluminum, fiberglass, carbon fiber, or double-layer poly (accessory seats) permitted.Single-layer fiberglass seats must have steel tube framework, 1/2- inch minimum O.D., for support. Aftermarket aluminum seats must have reinforced head rest. Magnesium seats prohibited.

To me this means that a stock seat will fulfill all the requirments except being bolted to the cross bar. Any ideas on the right way to go about this?

As well with a 5 point harness according to the diamgram and the instructions the crotch strap has to be mounted behind the chest line. How are guys going about this and what are you using as mounting hardware. Also I would like to make sure that mounting the hip belt to the stock locations work or what I need to do to be legal.

10:5 DRIVER-RESTRAINT SYSTEMS
    A quick-release, 3-inch shoulder harness meeting SFI Spec 16.1 is mandatory in all cars in competition required by the rules to have a roll bar or a roll cage. (Permitted in all other classes.) Driverrestraintsystem must be clearly labeled as meeting SFI Spec 16.1 and be dated by manufacturer. SFI Spec 16.1 Y-type belts dated through 12/04 will be accepted through their two-year service period only. System must be updated at two-year intervals from date of manufacture. All seat-belt and shoulder-harness hardware must be originally designed to be used with each other and
    produced by the same manufacturer. For harness installation, see illustration. Cars using OEM or OEM-type seat may have crotch strap routed in front of seat instead of through seat. Only units that release all five attachment points in one motion are permitted. When arm restraints are worn with a restraint system that utilizes a 'latch lever,' a protective cover must be installed to prevent arm restraint from accidentally releasing the latch lever. Protective cover not required if system utilizes 'duck-bill' latch hardware. All harness sections must be mounted to the frame, crossmember, or reinforced mounting and installed to limit driver's body travel both upward and forward. Seat belts may not be wrapped around lower framerails.
    Under no circumstances are bolts inserted through belt webbing permitted for mounting. Crotch strap to go through seat and anchor
    behind chest line. With OEM-type seat, crotch strap may route in front of seat Check manufacturer's instructions.

2. HAULIN IT

Clone, On my brother's Mustang we removed the covering/pad from the seatback. Drilled a 7/16" hole in the bracing, layed a piece of 1/4" plate (with a 3/8" tapped hole) behind the brace & welded it on. Once the fabric was back on, a small hole was cut for the bolt. On the crossbar, we welded a gusseted tab for an allenhead capscrew.
    For the harness mounting, we used the seatbelt mounting bolts on the sides & put extra ancors from another car in the floor crossmember for the crotch strap & one on a tab on the crossbar...All factory Ford seatbelt bolts.
    Hope this helps! Lorne

3. clone93gt

would you have any pictures of the setup. Sounds like it would work just need to see the pictures to really get it.

4. clone93gt

anyone else??

5. mayer5oh

i welded a plate and a tab between the front two seat bolts for my crotch belt. its nowhere near behind the chest line... ive seen countless cars done this way tho and never had a problem. also... i thought that oem type seats did not need the back support.

6. HAULIN IT

Sorry about being soooo long, my old computer had something messed up in the system & I couldn't re-size photos on Photobucket. Hopefully these will help someone. The top bracket holds the seat, the bottom one...well, it's self explainatory. Lorne
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

7. clone93gt

Thanks for getting ths pictures up. would you have any pictures of the seat? also did you made the weld on brakets or order them?

Thanks agian

8. HAULIN IT

Sorry...No pic of the seat. If you take the padding/fabric off, you'll see a flat area on the metal structure, this is where the plate was added with the treaded hole in it. The brackets are homemade, they started out as a piece of 1 1/2" square tubing. A 1 3/4" holesaw was used sideways to make the notch to match the rollbar, the rest was just cut away to make the shape desired. The bottom bracket has a seatbelt threaded insert out of a junk car welded to it for the sholder harness bolt to thread in. Lorne

9. Enginerd

My car certifed to 8.50's with the stock seats. Seat back is not secured to the crossbar. 5 way harness setup: shoulder belts are wraparound type that go over the crossbar, lapbelts attach to stock seatbelt mounting bolts, crotch strap mounts to a bar under front seat. Crotch strap bar is from Wolf Racecraft.

10. mayer5oh

yea, ive seen that bar before from wolfe, its nice, but i was too cheap for that... you said your shoulders wrap around the crossbar on the cage... ive seen guys well a small half or 3/8 solid little u bend around where the belts go to keep them from going side to side... that isnt neccesary, right? last time i went to atco mine were wrapped around (as the instructions said to and also the same way they are in my buddies 900hp sprint car) and the tech guy gave me crap saying they should be bolted