1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Ceramic coating stainless

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by NIL8GM, Mar 10, 2005.

1. NIL8GM

Is there any benefit or problem with ceramice coating hot or cold side tubing? This is 304 stainless. Is it a waste of $$?

Rick

2. Uncle Bob

it looks pretty....?

in theory it will help retain the exhaust heat.....but since rust isn't an issue, its a pretty slight benefit.

3. Enginerd

You can do it. I had my stainless headers done. It's nice in that the tubes don't turn colors with heat, but I used the silver metallic ceramic and they lost all their shine after awhile. Now the tubes just look like dull stainless. I'm sure on a cold part it would hold up great.

Rob

4. NIL8GM

Thats pretty much what I thought. Thanks for the input guys....I think I'll save my $$$ for now.

Rick

5. DASHIP

I coated my stainless hot parts with the JetHot 2000 degree stuff. I like that it holds in heat better and the stainless doesn't get that dirty, oxidized look. The headers also cool off quicker. The 2000 degree stuff really holds up well and doesn't flake or chip, but it is only available in flat colors (grey, blue and black, I think). I chose grey. I'm glad I coated my hot parts, but I don't think it is totally necessary on stainless parts if you are trying to save some $.

6. ronlp

Same here. The main reason I did it was because things are kind of tight in an SN95 engine compartment and it cuts down on a lot of the heat affecting other parts. It also avoids the weird 'patina' that 304 gets after awhile. I used header wrap on the sensitive areas for awhile but it was still hot as hell in there and it looked like shit after awhile.