1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Stock Rod bolts...

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by boost, Mar 9, 2005.

1. boost

When you remove the stock rods and bolts for the first time, does it automatically mean the stock nuts/bolts are junk from stretching or can they possibly be reused?

2. Fast Eddy

My motor builder has told me that most of the broken rods he sees he believes comes from a failed rod bolt. Good rod bolts are cheap insurance.

3. boost

damn, I was hoping to cheap out and reuse the stockers :(

4. twinturboGT

You'd cheap out on your motor for 60 bucks?

5. Dave88LX

When having new rod bolts pressed in, don't you need to get the rods resized as well? I'm going through the same thing with my '69 rods. What's the cost of the bolts + resizing, vs buying new better quality rods?

6. 19COBRA93

I'm a cheap bastard so I just reused my old ones. Seems to be working fine.

7. boost

How should they be removed from the rods as not to damage the rod?

8. Disney Lincoln

You can hammer them out. I guess the proper way to do it would be with a press.

9. OnEwIcKeD SVT

I also got a set of '69 rods.

How much HP can they support?

I got a stock crank from a late series 351w, stock 69 rods, and TRW forged dished pistons.

Whatcha think she can hold before going splitsville?

:)

10. boost

so hammering them out can't bend the bearing cup?

11. Disney Lincoln

Not so long as youdont whack it with teh hammer. Lock the rod in a vise, with the big end near the vise head. Then hammer them out.

12. boost

I guess I am iffy now on putting stocker bolts back in. I can't imagine how it is to bend a rod at 100+ mph.

13. Steed93

I used the stock bolts on my rebuild. I will have the engine apart again in about a month and I could report on them.

14. SWT Racing

If you're reusing the stock rod bolts why are you even taking them out?

15. dman

i ran the stock rod bolts in my motor. i put new bearings in the motor and bolted her back together. Eventually i snapped the small end of the rod off which in turn spun around and smacked as much stuff as it could. upon pulling the motor and removing the pan the big end of the rod was still securely attached to the crank. i removed the cap to find the bearing in perfect condition. i would put my faith in stock rod bolts again without concern on a stock rebuild with rpm kept under 6500. I went over 129mph lots of times in the 1/4 on those tiny old stock rod bolts that were retorqued.

16. boost

gotta replace the bearings

17. boost

Anybody know the torque specs on stock bolts?

18. SWT Racing

Why are you taking the bolts out of the rods?

19. boost

I am not now that I know they should hold up fine. Now I just gotta locate the torque specs and torque them back up.

I took the motor apart cuz the cylinder walls had surface rust and to put new rings in it.

20. Disney Lincoln