1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Stock looking 91 coupe 393w with twin PT61's

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by kayla, Mar 3, 2009.

1. kayla

Hey all,
    after 5 years, 3 jobs, a child and an almost fatal stroke....finally making some progress on the car.
    it's a really nice 5.0 coupe we got in North Carolina from a board member here.
    The wheels in the pic have been photoshopped on, as the car is in storage. they are 17x8 and 17x9 pony-R's in 5 lug to fit 4-wheel disc brakes
    trying to go for the stock look, will run on 17" drag radials.

EDIT...FORGOT ABOUT THE COUPLE YEARS WAITING FOR A REFUND FROM A TURBO COMPANY THAT WENT UNDER!!

photoshop.jpg #ad

2. kayla

Engine : 393W

-F4TE 351W block .030 over
    -eagle cast crank 3.85"
    -scat H-beam rods
    -JE forged pistons, dished
    - 8.2:1 compression
    -SFI balancer / flexplate
    -balanced rotating assemby
    -SVO 351w swap oilpan
    -ARP headstuds/mainstuds
    -speedpro 3/4 groove main bearings
    -F303 CAMSHAFT

--Edelbrock Vic Jr. heads 70cc chambers(unported)
    --Harland sharp 1.6 roller rocker arms
    --cheapie fel-pro headgaskets (friend uses them w/no issues in the 9's w/ similar setup)

---Edelbrock Vic. Jr. Carb intake modified for EFI w/ fuelrails
    ---custom short elbow for 351w in a fox w/ stock hood
    ---72 lb high imp. RC injector
    ---Accufab 75mm TB

just needs a few things/cosmetics

engine.jpg #ad

3. kayla

since the twins means battery in the trunk, check out this little trick I've never seen(not my car)...got my flip-down plate from a last-gen caprice.
    the car should go easy high 9's at 140+ on the drag radials & pump gas looking like that :)
    it's legal to 10.0, don't want full cage / 9 sec license etc.
    should be fun!
    my friend Allen Vos on here is doing all the work, not only is he a class A mechanic by trade but he's also a mustang guy, and can put together a fox with his eyes closed.....his car has a similar combo and runs 9's.
    After a long wait, I'm getting the need for speed again!
    Rich-

1991-1996 caprice plate holder.jpg #ad

last gen caprice lic plate on off switch2.jpg #ad

4. kayla

ah the turbos, precision PT6176sp twins, T4 Based

turbos.jpg #ad

5. red95gts

Nice Rich! Glad to hear you're doing well!

6. kayla

thanx man.

Recovery is slowly but surely, will take years but will happen, I just need to work at it and be patient...the car thing makes me smile :)
    its essential to NOT GET DEPRESSED and I'm lucky thatway to have a good woman and Maverick, my 3 year old boy.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg #ad

7. sleeperlsc

I'm a cancer survivor, lost my right lung, the larger of the 2 to a rare form of lung cancer at 24 but never touched a cigarette. So it's awesome you made it through everything ok. It will take a lil time and some work but I know you'll make it. Rehab is everything. Someone has a plan for people like you and me, theres a reason we're still here. I'm convinced mine is to do wheelies in my "street car". I also have the same style licsense plate holder from an early 80's cadillac. Keep us posted on your build bro, cant wait to see it.

8. sleeperlsc

I pulled this body out of a field from and old lady that had givin it to her grandson. He blew up the 4 banger so she put it behind her house. She saw my shop and the cars in the back yard and told me i could have it if id come get it. I passed her on the way to her own house. Been a great car, I have alot of work in it. But it's about to go under the knife and do some DR racing, Wont be hardcore as some, but maybe faster than most

9. kayla

funny how things happen without your consent, permission or even knowledge....
    just gotta stay cool and not give up.....
    right now, I don't have a license due to my loss of visual field called homonymous hemianopia (means one eye half blind)...usually you have 180 deg of vision, I have only 90...my peripheral vision is gone on the right side from BOTH eyes. the ministry here has a low vision waver program, where you basically prove on the road that youre a good driver to get you license even if your vision field isnt at least 120 degrees. i'll be going for this within this year as my perception skills improve(distance/space/time)
    hopefully the visual field widens naturally also, am getting prisms in my glasses that shift images into line of vision giving 20 degrees additional vision but more importantly, stimulates the brain to increase natural visual field....fingers crossed.....

10. mustangcobra438

Subscribing. :2thumbs:. Is that a 93 Cobra in the background of the pic?

11. kayla

that picture is from when I bought the car, in N Carolina
    that's Jeremy's (the fella I bought the car from) brother's cobra...believe it's turbocharged as well.

12. kayla

the trans, an AOD. it has all good internals 1piece shaft etc. got the valvebody from lentech, its auto-shifting but can be shifted manually, (no brake )think it'll be ok with the 17's...can make some boost on the 2-step off the line .in retrospect, shoulda got the full manual w/brake, its not much more ....we'll be disconnecting the kickdown as its ok to do so with the lentech VB as to not down shift-that could be dangerous if unintentional!
    the converter started as a Precision 9.5 non-lock that PTC refreshed/restalled. it's about 2800 rpm Stall
    of course, factory shifter :)
    the setup should be good to 1000HP.

transsmall.jpg #ad

13. kayla

14. xlr8a4d

Wow,gonna be sweet! Glad you are doing well now!!

15. kayla

Thanx man!
    Had my spirits lifted---a couple days ago, as I was going to my accupuncture appointment, this lady walked up to me on the sidewalk, and asked me why I have a walker....I appreciate that, most people don't ask as they likely figure you'll get mad or something....but instead, they look at you funny... :bang:
    Long story short, she was in a serious car accident 6 years ago and suffered brain damage among other physical damage...she was QUADROPALEGIC and was in a wheelchair she controlled by moving a joystick with her tongue!---The docs told her that was it for her. Forward to now, looking at her, you'd never know. She is in alot of pain from physical injuries and prescribed oxycontin though.
    I'm not in any pain physically. given her prognosis and looking at her now....wow!
    she truly is an inspiration. docs can say things like brainstem strokes take years to heal, and so on but seeing someone that they had written off recover like that is truly awesome.
    We're gonna have coffee and chat next week, its better than chatting outside the accupuncturists place!
    I'm gonna see if she'll be a speaker at our stroke group-part of rehab.she'd be an inspiration to all of us. Sometimes, more than anything, you need to be inspired :ty:
    I needed that, I see a light at the end of the tunnel :)
    today is a good day.

Rich-

16. plowboy

Us quadriplegics are usually not shy about asking what happened. We understand usually after almost 13 years of being a quad not much i can't take!

17. xlr8a4d

A little inspiration goes a long way and I am glad for you.I truly wish you the best and a quick recovery.Miracles do still happen even in these trying times,just have faith!

18. kayla

thanx man!
    the neuroligists say that I will get back 95+% of what I had but apparently brainstem strokes in general take 5+ years to fully heal. I am literally 1 in a million for being functional/recovering. I'm very lucky and I gotta keep being thankful and taking difficult things in stride....believe me, at times its a bitch. Things with the GF are kinda rough right now too. It'll be nice taking to her, shes been through alot of crap medically too. life ;)

take care,
    Rich-

19. jtsmg

The cobra has been put back to bone stock and is now for sale.

Rich,
    I'm glade to see you up and on your way to a full recovery. You inspire me brother. Keep on keeping on. God has a plan for you.
    I'll talk to you soon buddy.

Jeff

20. 99TTGT

The 61's are working good for me. I think you will like them.