1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

SBC with ProCharger and FiTech timing suggestions

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by ss0073, Apr 12, 2018.

1. ss0073

Hello guys, first time posting on this forum, but have been lurking in the background for some time. I know this is called "turbo" forum and thats what most guys are running, but hopefully someone might have some knowledge/experience/input with a ProCharger for initial timing setup...

Motor:

355 SBC
    Broxix #8 heads with port matched Victor Jr
    8.3:1 CR
    Full skirt blower pistons
    Crower rods
    Callies forged crank
    Fully studded top/bottom end
    Comp Cams NX288HR roller cam

ProCharger D1SC with 12 PSI pulleys intercooled

FiTech 1200PA with an MSD6al controlling the timing and the FiTech doing the fuel

Frame mounted pump with 8AN supply and 6AN return line

Pump gas

This is in a Gen 2 Camaro with a Turbo 350, 10" ATI Treemaster converter 3000 stall

Previously, I ran this motor configuration with a small P600B non intercooled system with 5 PSI blow through a Street Demon carb. Pulled entire car apart a few years back for a complete overhaul and to make some changes. The motor is still the same internals with the exception of a full roller cam, completely studded, and having the heads redone to fit the new springs.....new piston rings, bearings, oil pump etc.

The FiTech is new to me however, with no to very little experience with it.

Could anyone with any knowledge give me some suggested starting points for timing? Idle timing? Total timing at WOT? Do you think that 30 deg total would be too much? I have base timing set at 12 BTDC. I think thats conversative, but its safe. The FiTech allows me to pull timing at different boost levels, and basically create my own advance curve. I know the dyno would be best to tune, but the car isn't at the point to take to dyno yet. Id like to get it running and down the street first....

2. TTF/Ken Staff Member

3. Mnlx

Rough starting point, and should be reasonably safe, but use at your own risk..... 12 at idle is fine, ramp to roughly 30 at 3000 rpm and above when out of boost. Pull timing with boost to mid teens at anything above a couple psi. That should run well enough to drive, and get you to the dyno.

4. ss0073

Thanks, we are on the same page then with total timing.

Also never heard of the other forum either. Guess Ill go do more reading.

5. blown385

My SBC runs 38 degrees everywhere out of boost . And its 9.5:1

6. whiteghost

I had a 9.1:1 350sbc with an intercooled p1sc in a third gen camaro that liked 16deg initial, 36 total, pulling 1.5 deg per lb of boost with a 6al and BTM on 93oct.

7. allend43

My sbc 400 runs 38 degrees and ramps down steady the more boost. On E85 though. I always locked out timing on most n/a or boosted sbc’s Give very good response down low.

8. onefastermonte85

1.5 per lb is what we did back in 07. That's too much.timing out.