1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Stock Cast Crank

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 64 Sprint, Jul 5, 2007.

1. 64 Sprint

Is any one out there running a stock cast crank in thier turbo 4.6?. I have a 98 Mark VIII engine i am building into a twin turbo and not sure whether or not to change the crank. What sort of RWHP are they good for?

2. mustangpwr98

The cast mark cranks are stronger supposedly than the gt cranks. 750 hp is a number that gets thrown around alot.
    I have never heard of anybody busting a cast crank, even a gt crank. But, most dont boost them , they just go to a forged cobra crank. I would say go for it.

3. TurboShortBus

I know a local guy who picked an engine straight out of a Mark VIII, threw a Cobra intake at it, dunked it in his SN95 drag car with a big Vortech blower, put a C4 behind it, and let it rip. He was running mid/low 9s with it, and the stock valvesprings went flat long before anything had a chance to break. Don't worry about that stock 4.6L DOHC crank.

Mark

4. Big Top GT

A cast crank will last a long, LONG time at a pretty high level of power. The number one killer of a crank is RPM, not HP.

If you don't spin the car to the moon, a cast crank will live to about 700 hp. Anything more than that, you really have no business using a stock crank in the first place.

:)

5. 64 Sprint

so you think a rev limiter at about 7,000rpm is safe enough

6. TurboShortBus

The rods and/or the pistons will go long before that crank does.

Mark