1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Stock carb and turbo?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by belomorkanal, Mar 10, 2021.

1. belomorkanal

Hi all,

So my Lada/VAZ-2101 i bought recently came with a turbo (i believe this is some kind of GT25? looks like it..)
    but it still had the standard carb setup.. It makes boost (0.5 bar as i can see on the boost gauge) but it is clearly not like the car is pulling harder.. is it even remotely possible to use a stock carb and a turbo?

I can see that the air leaves the intercooler on the front and then goes to the intake on the carb, you can clearly hear the car die down if you press the gas and then it picks up again..

again, is this even possible or would i be better off rebuilding the carb for a blow-through setup?

2. B E N

I know nothing about that carb, but it is certainly possible the carb was already set up for blow through.

Is the fuel pressure referenced to the manifold?
    Do you have access to a wideband?
    Do you get lean detonation under boost?
    How do the plugs look after a pull?
    How is timing being controlled?

It is likely if that carb was not fueling for boost you would have blown the engine by now.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  3. belomorkanal

Is the fuel pressure referenced to the manifold?
    you might have to eleborate on that, how do you mean?

Do you have access to a wideband?
    I only have a boost gauge installed on the car, nothing else.

Do you get lean detonation under boost?
    It feels like it, it just almost dies down.

How do the plugs look after a pull?

Coffee-mocca color.

How is timing being controlled?

New distributer is on the way, finally some electronic ignition so i will have to see how the car works with that.

4. OpposableThumbsConfuseMe

It might be helpful if you post some pictures of the carburator with all of its hoses and of the spark plugs