1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Stock cam timing and cam gear question

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by yan88gt, Dec 21, 2009.

1. yan88gt

Hi! I started to check my cam timing today. It's a stock 01 cobra longblock with ported eaton swap. I only checked the left bank yet following the instruction from the comp cam site.

I checked the exhaust cam and it was already installed on a 114 LC . The intake cam was installed on a 122 LC and with the loose in the keyway, i've been able to bring it to a 121 LC. I cheked everything at least three times to make sure everything was OK.

Now i'm wondering if it takes a lot of filing to bring my cam from a 121 LC to a 114 LC ?

Anyone ever had a factory cam off by 7 degree ?

Thanks!

2. BobSnake

It takes removing a good amount, but don't go crazy because you dont want to remove too much. Just remove some and check, and grind some more and check again. Its a pain, but its how I did it. I had one intake cam at 123 and the other at 119 (i think, but I'd have to check my notes). I also had one exhaust cam at 111 and the other at 105. Now they are at (111/110.5 Intake and 109.5/111 exhaust) I called that close enough since I was shooting for 110/110.

3. yan88gt

Are yours stock or aftermarket cams? I've read alot about aftermarket cams being off by 6-8 degree's but never heard of stock cams . I will install ARP cam bolt for sure.

4. 99TTGT

I seen both, stock OEM & Aftermarket cams off by 4 to 8 degrees...

5. yan88gt

Thanks! I checked the other bank today and it was a little better. The exhaust cam was on a 115LC and the intake cam 118 without touching anything.

With the loose in the keyway i've been able to put the exhaust cam on a 114LC but a 116 LC is the best i could do for the intake cam.

Now i'm wondering if anyone ever tack weld the cam gear to the cam ? It seems better to me then just filing the keyway. I can't afford a set of good quality adjustable cam gears and scraping a set of stock cams that can be bought for 100$ used don't bother me if i ever want to change cam timing later.

6. ShaneH

This is exactly why I've used the ModCamPonents adjustable timing gear system for the last 3 years. The old version that I had used 1/8 inch tool steel pins to locate the hub to the gear. Worked very well. Looks like the new version uses splines between the hub and gear.

http://blueovalcamponents.com/timinggear.html