1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Please critique my 355 SBC setup

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by nufnuffz28, Aug 23, 2006.

1. nufnuffz28

Here is my setup so far..........

355 with splayed 4 bolt mains, partially filled
    6'' rods
    8.1-8.5 compression
    195CC AFR heads
    750 carb done by CSU
    Vic Jr intake
    3200 stall with a 3.73 gear
    Turbosmart WG
    Turbosmart BOV(supersonic) still to be ordered
    Going to try to use flipped S10 conversion headers in it.

GOALS

9'S in the 1/4
    street friendly(at least some)
    OVER 700rwhp at 15 lbs or so of boost

My questions lie in cam desicion and intercooling(worth it or not)

After searching this site it seems different peoples cam choices are widely varied and I cant get a grasp on what direction to look.

I called comp and they gave me 242''/242'' and 570/570 lift with 1.5's on a 114.... Part # 12-000-9

Also the intercooler debate. On a car with pretty mild(compared to some) goals will one be beneficial to me?

Any other things I am forgetting. INFORM me!

Thanks

2. gobtool

Well you're gonna have to get a fuel pump, but I'm sure you know that. An intercooler will definitely be beneficial. It will allow you to run more boost and timing, especially if you're running pump gas. On a blow through carb setup the fuel cools off the intake air quite a bit, but an intercooler is still gonna help a lot. I don't know about the cam.

3. nufnuffz28

Oh yeah.....Have an all aluminum tank with A1000 pump, boost ref. regulator(pretty much all the goo aeromotive stuff) You belive it would be worth it for the money for an intercooler. OK, any intercooler that wont run me over 1g?

4. makka

what turbo are you planning on running?

5. nufnuffz28

HAHAHAHA....Can't believe I forgot that.......sorry

GT42 76mm with a T4 flange

6. makka

hahaha, i thought it maight have mad it a bit easier for people to recommend things! :angel:

7. nufnuffz28

Just MAYBE!! :2thumbs:

8. Tims86-9.80

A good air to air would work well on your combination. UJUSTLOST is going to run with one and lets see how he does. There is a ProCharger Unit in the For Sale Section that I used to have that would work great for the 700 HP Range, good to 1000

9. nufnuffz28

Thanks, I may start doing some cutting and see what I can fit! I already have a GT42 turbo though.

10. nufnuffz28

TTT, no more opinions??? :bang:

11. SLOW L8LY

Some Ford emblems.... :lh:
    Sorry dude, I couldn't resist.

12. SLOW L8LY

All kidding aside. You should seriously consider intercooling. You're talking about 9 second goals. You could probably run 9's without an intercooler, just like you could run 9's without a roll bar or hood pins. I, personally, would not. :ahah:

13. UJUSTLOST

I thought the intercooler was screwing me out of boost but it appears that it was the damn air filter. If you are going to run race gas then you can get away without an intercooler but if you plan to go pump gas an intercooler would help. My SBC is 8.5:1 with the max quench I could get and a large solid roller cam....I ran 15psi without an intercooler on pump gas last year safely....went 18psi this year with an intercooler and think I could go 20psi. All about the combo and what you want to do with it.

14. nufnuffz28

Thanks! I do have a cage and hood pins already ;)

OK, I would say 50% street driving and 50% track. No daily driver stuff unless its a clear day and I just want to drive it. Isn't there a calculator somewhere that tells me pressure loss through an intercooler?

What cam do you have in your car? I am leaning towards something smallish. Like in the 220's to 230's duration.

Thanks

Chris

15. HeadDoctor

Try this cam from Lunati

232 - 242 @ .050 with .544 IN & .560 EX at 1.6 put it on 110 sep and put it in at 108 to 106

The overlap helps to keep the piston cooled off and the pumping pressure down so you can get away with more timing and a slightly richer A/F - It's Chevy so I wouldn't be afraid to tighten up the lobe sep a bit either, to maybe 108 - play with the timing events to get the EX closed late as possible. This helps to drive the turbine!

The cam companies are going to think you're insane but they want you think that its an engine driven blower and they generally like wide lobe-sep cams to trap the air in the cylinder to make boost. That isn't a turbo problem because its a closed loop system.

If you want another opinion about this cam ask Brent

Denny@JDS Induction Products

16. nufnuffz28

Wow.......I knew that cam technology as far as turbos are concerned are foriegn territory! I have gotten ALL kinds of answers from different people. I was pretty set to go 114, but with the same small duration and lift like you stated. BRENT!!! Get in here and throw me some more information!.

Chris

17. SWT Racing

I don't think he'll have any problem driving the turbine with a single T4 exhaust housing and 355 inches. I'm not sure what A/R the housing will have, but more than likely it will be a .96. I run the same exhaust housings on mine, but use the same .96 for each half of the engine! With the added overlap, I'd be worried about a negative differential when during the last few degrees of overlap. When the piston is near TDC on the exhaust stroke, there is verlly little exhaust pressure in the cylinder so you reach a crossover point between pressure in the cylinder and pressure in the exhaust itself. Once you start getting past TDC, the exhaust pressure will be higher than that of the cylinder, even taking boost pressure into account. Now you have a negative differential across the cylinder where the exhaust will want to flow into the intake. That cam closes the exhaust valve around 9 degrees ATDC. If you had the same cam on a 114 LSA and installed it on a 108 ICL you would close the exhaust valve a 1 degree after TDC. My cam, for example closes at 0.9 degrees when installed on a 110 ICL

Perhaps the later closing of the exhaust valve has less effect due to the valve being so close to the seat near TDC, but it just doesn't work out in my mind.

Any thoughts on this?

18. nufnuffz28

The A/R housing is 1.15.

Thanks

19. nufnuffz28

TTT, intercooler suggestions? and MORE cam talk! :2thumbs:

20. nufnuffz28

UP UP UP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BTW I now have TS 38mm BOV and TS WG!! :chacha: