1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Stay OBD2 or aftermarket EFI

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by jmc157, Jul 29, 2015.

1. jmc157

My car - 2002 GT, bored/forged bottom end, mild ported stock heads, stock PI cams, edelbrock Victor jr, full bolt ons, 76mm turbo

I'm on the fence of what I want to do. My only reason for staying OBD2 is because my county has emission testing for '96+ vehicles. An aftermarket EFI would eliminate me being able to pass inspection, therefore car won't be street legal. I'm not wanting to have to pay $500+ for dyno tuning every time I make a small change. For now I expect 600-700 hp with lots of psi, but my car is never finished and I will be looking for room to grow later on. Car is currently street/strip. I never really drive it on the street but like the option and I can still call it a real street car. Here's my questions:

1) How much HP can my stock OBD2 support?
    2) Is there a software option out there to do your own tuning with the stock OBD2?
    3) Is there an aftermarket EFI system that can work along with OBD2?
    4) Would I see more or smoother power with aftermarket EFI set up?

I know this is a lot so thanks for the time and help...

2. TTF/Ken Staff Member

How much horse power it can support is limited by your MAF, injectors and pump for the most part unless you exceed the maximum RPMs the PCM can handle. HP Tuners or SCT Pro Racer software and hardware for your stock PCM would both be good systems to go with, with a Diablo Mafia or SCT Big Air to be able to meter incoming air. Turn off most of the back ground OBDII checks when you're not getting it emissions checked and you'll also gain RPM processing capability the PCM can handle over the stock tune. The EEC-V is more than capable of handling high horsepower.

3. jmc157

I previously had my supercharged setup dyno tuned with SCT software, I already have an SCT programmer, I will look into those two options though. Does either of them have the auto tune like a FAST system does? As of now I have a slot style MAF and an 8AN return fuel system with an A1000 pump.

I know I can make my current set up work on it, but I want to plan for down the road too. The reason I haven't put a lot into the 2v top end is because eventually I plan on a 5.4 4v build over the next couple years with over 1000hp.

4. TTF/Ken Staff Member

No.

There are guys making that kind of power with EEC-V, it depends on how fast you plan to spin the motor. Past about 7500 RPM you're out of CPU with a stock EEC-V PCM.

5. jmc157

My current set up I doubt will go past 7k rpm, so I may use SCT pro racer for now...