1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

"M80" Turbo 307 sbc - Marty's "Grenade" little brother build...

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by HeavyMetal, Mar 5, 2020.

1. HeavyMetal

Figured it was time to start posting my butt cheap turbo build which will be going in a 91 Mustang GT code named "Boosted Barney". (When you finally see pictures of it you will understand the name lol)

The bases for the build will be one of the most unloved sbc around... The anemic 307.

After selling the intake and carb it came with, the rest of the mess was free.

So what better thing to do to a pile of crap free engine...Throw lots of boost at it.

The basic breakdown of the build is this... (I will start a new thread on the actual build of the Mustang when the engine is done and I start on it.)

Free unknown mileage early 70's 307 with chevy's finest performance heads... The might 991 small valve heads which are already pulled from the engine. (Whenever I can get my pile a crap phone to start downloading pics again, I will post, a self explaining picture of why the I pulled the heads... You'll love it.)

Pull a rod & piston and check ring gap and adjust as needed... Peek at the rod bearings and throw the hot mess back together.

Do a Marty high pressure wash & rinse...

Throw whichever cheap cam the "brain collective" on here decides is best.

Toss a cheap gasket set at it and top it off with the the cheapest single plane intake I can find along with my DIY 600 blow thru Holley (Or possibly a tuned port intake if I can find one cheap along with a micro squirt)
    and the finest Chinese turbo on the market...The MIGHTY GT45.

Tune it and then pin the gate shut...And let it eat...lol

So that's the basic build in a nut shell.

Which brings us to the audience participation part of this post.

I have three cheap Elgin hyd. cams I am looking at and need the "Brain Collective" to help pick one.

First up for your consideration is the...

Elgin 923-p (Jegs 200002)

Specs are....050 duration 204/214, Lift .420/.443, and a lobe separation of 112

2nd up is...

Elgin 922-p (Jegs 200003)

Specs are....050 duration 214/224, Lift .444/.466, and a lobe separation of 112

Last up...

Elgin 1065-p (Jegs doesn't carry this one and it's about $30 dollars more for the cam/lifter kit from Competition Products)

Specs are....050 duration 218/218, Lift .458/.458, and a lobe separation of 110

The heads are going to be the big bottleneck on this build.

The turbo has a decent size exhaust turbine and should have enough compressor to put the hurt on this little 307.

RPM range will be to keep it under 6000rpm.

The car should weigh under 2800 with me in it with a 2.73 rear gear and a cheap th400 (No t-brake for now) with whatever cheap stall convertor I can scrounge up.

Ultimate goal is a 9.99 time slip on the cheap.

Just trying to figure out which of the 3 cams would be the best choice.

I have my thoughts on it but would love to hear what others think.

2. Mnlx

Cam #3. I like the 110 lsa with the large turbine, and it still has -2 degrees of overlap.

3. Disney Lincoln

I like Option 3 as well.

4. fastspec2

Can we do a 2.5 lol. I like the duration split and the lsa of #2 for the crappy heads, but the lift of number 3. I'd say out of whats there #3 as well.

5. nxcoupe

I know, how about a junkyard 351?

Pro-SC likes this.
  6. HeavyMetal

If I could find one for free along with a $50 dollar c6 (Which is what is paid for both the th400 I have) I would do it in a minute...

As I have gotten older... I have become much less brand oriented and much more budget oriented.

All I want to do is go fast for cheap... IT'S WAY MORE FUN!!!!!!!!!!

Over the years I have spent WAY to much time and money on making things look perfect and be brand specific etc....

Plus...There is a real satisfaction in making something like a turd 307 go fast....

I'm having TON'S more fun and enjoyment in making things run fast on the frugal side.

It's just a lot more fun not worrying about paint etc. and not build engines with the latest and greatest speed parts. (Only to watch them turn into expensive art work.)

There is just something eternally special about kicking the crap out of someone that has 10 times the money in there ride.

Besides...There is a lot of satisfaction in making a turd 307 go fast.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  7. HeavyMetal

Thanks to everyone that responded.

Number 3 is also my favorite pick for the same reasons that were given.

The BIGGER question is..? Do you think that the $30-40 dollars difference in price will truly make that much of a performance difference when the boost is turned to full tilt????

And is there a better place that money could be spent for a greater hp gain???

8. Mnlx

Any of the cams listed will work, you asked which was preferred. If the $30 allows you to buy valve springs, or some other important piece, then go with a cheaper cam.