1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

SOHC to DOHC swap

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by God_Speed, Jun 28, 2010.

1. God_Speed

2004 Mustang Gt - 156,000 miles - T3650.

Looking at a looming rebuild in the future, plus wanting to boost the engine.

Looking at swapping in a lower mileage lincoln Mark 8 engine and doing a DIY turbo setup on that.

I have a question in regards to the fuel setup. The Mark 8 used a return style fuel system and the GT uses a return-less style. So would I need to convert to a return style or could it be run return-less? What fuel rails could I use if it can be ran return-less for awhile. The switch to a return style is not that bad, but wanting to get the engine swapped and running if possible without changing the fuel setup.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Stzang

What year of mark 8? You could use 96-98 cobra rails depending on the year of intake. Are you using the mark 8 injectors too?

3. God_Speed

97-98 Mark 8. Using the complete engine, except alternator which will be a 96-98 cobra. I will eventually change out the intakes to 96-98 cobra as well as new cams. But want to get the engine running to make sure the bugs are out of it and then start modding. I may use the mark injectors if they will work. I may have to get some new cop's if the mark ones wont work with the GT. They should work though so that will be good. I've found infor about this swap into a 98 gt but nothing 99+. Which uses different fuel and spark setups.

4. 99TTGT

pics of the engine?

5. 99TTGT

96/98 rails are return style

6. 99TTGT

96/98 the mark IIIV & cobra have the same cams
    the injectors will work also

7. Stzang

You won't be able to use the Mark 8 rails because there's no mounting for your fpdm that controls your non return pump. To keep it the same you would need to go with 99+ cobra rails that have the fpdm mounting then you should be good because I believe that they mount the same on the mark 8 intake. The cops are different from the gt to the cobra but not sure of the mark 8. If you wish to keep your GT cop coils then you can replace the boot and spring for cobra style.. At any NAPA store you can get replacement coil boots and springs with either part #702420 or #58908. The only thing is that the rubber has to be cut slightly to seat on the bottom of the GT coil but this beats getting 8 DOHC connectors or buying 8 new DOHC coils. This should work on the mark 8 as well because the coils go down the center of the heads too.

8. God_Speed

Will be picking the engine up in a few weeks. The guy I'm buying from deals with a ton of lincolns. He sells alot of engines to kit car guys and hot rod guys.

I thought the intake or exhaust cam was slightly different from the mark to the cobra. I'm thinking it was the intake.

So I would need rails that fit a 99+ Cobra. I also read that the polarity between the lincoln cop's and the gt are reversed, any ideas?

Also need headers to fit a 96-98 Cobra. Plus a coolant crossover tube from an earlier Mark 8 that has 2 bungs on it. the 97-98 only has 1.

Thanks for the help so far. I will be getting everything ready and hopefully doing the swap over winter when I don't need the car.

9. God_Speed

Another thing I'm wondering. Are there any aftermarket rails that I can run return-less then convert over to a return style if/when I go that route if needed.

10. 99TTGT

1- the intakes are diferent
    2- the 99 rails will not fit ,unless you weld brakets to them<I have done this before>Just buy aeromotive rails & plug the return,there is a adapter for the fuel
    pressure sensor.
    3- the the polarity between the lincoln cop's and the gt are reversed, just swap the cables
    4- I have some of this parts laying arround<pm me when you figure out what you need>

IMG_1130.jpg #ad

11. God_Speed

This forum never fails to deliver the information. :2thumbs:

So aeromotive rails is what it sounds like I need for 96-98 cobras? I can change those over to a return style if I need to upgrade my fuel system.

I will keep that in mind once I pick up the motor 99TTGT, Thanks.

12. 99TTGT

Thank you.!

yes , you can do what ever you want with them:
    https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=129492.0

Aeromotive 14104 - Ford
    Billet Aluminum Fuel Rails 1996-98.5 Ford 4.6L DOHC

BTW
    summit racing or jegs sell them

13. God_Speed

:rock2: I guess I will be studying that thread for awhile.

14. Stzang

As far as the cop goes and the reverse polarity you will more than likely need to extend the wiring harness to run down the center of the valve covers so what better time to switch polarity since you need to extend but if your running your GT cops with cobra boot then no polarity change.

15. God_Speed

Thank you for the information! Hopefully I can get alot of things figured out before swap time. I know a good bit of the wiring is going to need extended, but thats not that bad.

16. Stzang

Naw, that's the easy stuff. there's a lot of good info here. I have a 00'GT that I'm converting to DOHC. Finally have everything I need to start building the car. Hoping to have it done by late July. I wanted everything ahead of time so I can just put it all together. Have a spare room packed full of new car parts waiting to go to the garage for install. It's good to plan then build.

17. God_Speed

Where is a good place to pick up mandrel tubing for a turbo kit? Plus V-Bands, silicone couplers, etc.

18. Stzang

Since aluminum tubing, silicone adapters, and t clamps are really hard to f' up then I would suggest ebay on this one. I got a huge 2.5" kit and a medium 3" kit to cover my twin 57's from turbo's to maf tube near throttle body for under $170 shipped. If you piece it together or get parts with someone who thinks there special and has their name on the couplers then it gets really expensive.

19. God_Speed

Something like 2 of these? -

Is 2.5" tubing sufficient for a single setup?

20. Stzang

oh, for exhaust? For exhaust a great place for mandrel bends is Columbia River Mandrel. They sell a bunch of exhaust stuff for building your hot side. They do also have plenty of silicone couplers and aluminum for the cold side but more expensive. Check these for cold side:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CXRa...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CXRa...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

If you're doing a single turbo you might just need the 3" you want to match your intercooler in/outlets to keep the system flowing well. If you're doing exhaust then probably a 3" downpipe would be good depending on the turbo you're using.