1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

393w Comet GT build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by comet gt, Sep 2, 2015.

1. comet gt

Hi everyone.
    I felt like sharing my project here, it is a 72 Comet GT that I got 10 years ago, and have worked on it every now and then since then.
    When I got it, it was just about to sink in the ground, sitting next to a 72 grabber. I brought it home and started on the fun side side, dropped a rebuild 302 in it, but never got around to finish the steering and brakes because of school and work and eventually sold it to a friend, who started fixing up the body.
    He also gave up on it and sold it to a guy, where my then girlfriend ( now wife) found it and bought it for me when I finished school.

When I got it, it looked like this
    comet 1.jpg #ad

When I got it back, it was torn down to bare metal, so after a few weeks it looked like this, primed and ready.
    dsc00310jc.jpg #ad

After tossing around a few engines choices I finally came across a roller cam 351 short block, and that is about the moment common sense went out the window.
    After getting the engine to fit about right with junk heads, I had a set of ported roush 200 iron heads for sale nearby, so on they went.
    I was planning on running a WC T5 with it, but when I thought about having over 400 pound feet of torque, I figured it would blow up in my face.
    Fortunately, a fellow here was parting out a project and sold me an build AOD with manual valvebody and supporting mods.
    When I thought I had gotten all my parts, some guy was selling his turbo locally and.....

So, what I have:
    72 Comet
    F4TE roller block
    Stock truck roller cam
    Roush 200 heads
    1.6 roller rockers, ( came with heads) I think scorpio or similar.
    Torker II intake
    blow through carter 625 AFB
    AOD trans, manual valvebody
    Garrett gt4202, T6 exhaust housing, 1.15 A/R 74 mm inducer
    60 mm wastegate ( dont remember the brand)
    40 mm BOV from HKS
    9 inch with 28 spline and 4.88 rear ( and yes those are 6 lug wheels)
    I know that the gears are way too low but it was build when previous owner was planning a hi reving 351 sand racer.

I am probably gonna crank it up for the first time next week.
    I'm building log headers to get the exhaust through the stock shock towers, and the turbo will were the battery was located.
    And yes stock towers with 351W turbo
    I will post more pics next week when I get to work on it.

comet 1.jpg #ad

dsc00310jc.jpg #ad

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  2. comet gt

Here are finally some pics of the build, the turbocharger angle has chanced a bit, and now the discharge outlet of the compressor points directly at the carb, and the wastegete is located under the turbocharger.
    IMG_20150913_220550.jpg #ad
    IMG_20150912_194422.jpg #ad
    IMG_20150913_220613.jpg #ad

I was going for stock suspension style originally, but after a better look at the suspension, I saw that it was in such sh*t shape it would not be worth saving.

IMG_20150913_220550.jpg #ad

IMG_20150912_194422.jpg #ad

IMG_20150913_220613.jpg #ad

3. afterfire

Sweet, cant wait to see some vids.

4. comet gt

wastegate not in place there, but it gives a good idea how it looks.
    IMG_20150919_100254.jpg #ad

I'll get some vids of it running, but it will be a while until it will drive under its own power

IMG_20150919_100254.jpg #ad

5. Hemann

That looks like it will be a lot of fun. I think that combo (except for the gears) looks great.

6. comet gt

yeah the rear gears were in the car when I got it back, the previous owner was planning on hi-reving nitrus fed sand racing 351 for it.
    I was thinking 3.50-3.70 would be more fitting.

7. comet gt

Got a nice vid, It was stone cold, one squirt and bam.
    Pardon the exhaust leak, it has no gaskets on the heads.
    I still haven't gotten around to do the front accessories, so the engine is not running for more than a few seconds for now.

[video=youtube_share;DRbumT7yY6I]https://youtu.be/DRbumT7yY6I[/video]

8. comet gt

Well, after looking better at the suspension components and brakes, I came to the conclusion that I'd better junk it all, and get a complete suspension package from Rod and Custom. I can't seem to find anything other than good things about them online. I'll probably be getting the rc-107 front, rc-114 rear, proper oil pan and brake components. Does anyone here have any experience with Rod and Custom?

9. cheap10s

Rod & Customs is nice stuff, do not buy AJE.

10. comet gt

Thought I'd share what has been done since last time I posted.
    First of all: I finally got to drive it. doesn't sound like much, but the last time this thing moved under its own power was in 1986.
    Huge thanks to Rod and custom motorsports, got me the rc 107 kit and other related items from them and I think it is safe to say that this car would never had gotten done safely if I had not gone that route. When I cut out the towers, they had cracked before and been stick welded back together, I also found massive holes in the frame that would had gone unnoticed if I had not removed the towers, which could had led to a catastrophic failure of the front end with a turbocharged 351.
    Also, the manual rack and pinion steering, along with the qa1 shocks and disc brakes, make this car so much safer, and more better to work on.
    I actually looked into getting the whole stock steering, braking and suspension new as factory, but that would had cost me about the same when it all comes together, every bushing, rod, spindle towers and all.
    So there really was no comparison, especially while gaining all that room, previously occupied by the towers.
    Installed a fuel cell in the back, takes about 12 gallons, and then 15mm hardline all the way to the aeromotive fuel regulator in front
    Got a dirt cheap radiator at summit racing, adapted a good electical fan to it, wich is controlled by a temperature switch.
    Next item on the list is to build my 9 inch, got a 3.50 and a detroit locker, just need to shorten a bit and convert to disc brakes
    Then subframe connectors, rollcage, and then all the biggest, most important stuff will be finished. :cool:
    IMG_20170130_181933.jpg #ad

and I think this car looks bitchin'
    15896268_1576053049078371_7028036236748687928_o.jpg #ad

IMG_20170130_181933.jpg #ad

15896268_1576053049078371_7028036236748687928_o.jpg #ad

11. Twin Turbo Skylark

Looking good nice work! So much roof for stuff under the hood now!

12. comet gt

I got so much more room for activites
    the "worst" part is that I am no longer restricted to a small block. new motor mounts are only a few bucks away, and then... can you say 545?

13. comet gt

Things are now happening, got it running properly, rear all set up nicely, motor finished, licence plates on the way. Got my first proper burout today just to see if the turbo spools and if the trans holds. Perhaps not the right way, but the fun way. Got a video, but I am having problems posting it.While there are a few things that sound better than A turbo V8, but nothing sounds as good as YOUR turbo V8

14. comet gt

[​IMG]#ad

flyinhillbilly likes this.
  15. comet gt

Got to drive it around town all summer and this thing is fast. I have yet to hold WOT at speed for any more than 3-4 seconds, simply because it has not been properly aligned and it gets shaky. I've had problems with the trans, seems to shift into 1 easily, usually to 2 but only randomly into 3. I took it out the other day for a testdrive, that ended in a massive burnout, followed immediately by a thick mist of coolant escaping the engine. Autopsy revealed only a blown head gasket, and no real damage to anything else. Suspect is a cheap ass ebay wastegate, but since I didn't see the boost gauge properly, that has not been confirmed. Lesson learned, cheap parts can be expensive. For next summer, I'll probably be converting to C6 and a proper WG.

16. comet gt

Happy new year's everyone. My project has progressed a little less than I had planned, but nevertheless I am about a week away to get my rotating assembly installed in the block and in the car. I bought a complete 393 balanced rotating assembly from Coast high performance, long rod with forged -30 cc pistons. I am looking forward to see how well this will work with my turbo, I know it as a lot of cubes but I figured my large exhaust housing should be able to support it if I wont spin it to the moon..