1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Starting on the 68 S-Code

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by GT377, Dec 29, 2017.

1. GT377

Hello to all, starting a thread on the 68. Looking over the car as I have found that there are several areas that need attention. Starting at the rear of the car as the rear suspension (At least the bushings) are worn out. I have been looking at several options but wanted to ask for some opinions here if anyone has used any of these kits. I was looking at the TCP and Ridetech 4 link setups but I am worried about getting the exhaust to clear over the top of the rear end as I want it run out the back. I like the Ridetech Streetgrip kit which uses a composite leaf spring setup but don’t allow for a Caltrac setup to be added. CPP has a rear leaf spring setup which was documented in their week to wicked 1966 Mustang build and it does allow for a Caltrac or now their own Caltrac style traction bar. I called them but to be honest they were not the friendliest on the phone.

Have any of you used any of these products on your classic Mustang and want to share your thoughts on ride, performance, quality etc..?
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Thanks JR

2. brianj5600

What type of driving are you planning? What motor/transmission?

3. nxcoupe

I went with heidts hot rods 4 link bolt in kit. I did it on a 68 and on a 70. Ride is excellent, but tailpipes are a challenge but possible.

4. 1966Mustang

I went with the full Caltrac setup including the split mono leafs and adjustable shocks. I’m happy with the ride on the street and it’s great at the track. It is definitely on the firm side though and the car is pretty much setup for 1/4 mile and street cruising.

5. GT377

Thanks for the replies. The type of driving will be mostly street, would like the car to handle well and it may see the occasional trip to the drag races. I looked at the complete Caltrac setup like you have (1966mustang) and it looks good but I have read mixed reports some indicating a great ride and others that it provides a firm ride like you mentioned. I think I am leaning towards the CPP kit with the Caltrac or there own CPP traction setup which appears to be very similar to the Caltrac.

Would be really interested if anyone on here had any experience with them. The Week to Wicked 1966 Mustang details the install and components on Youtube.

The Heidts kit I had not seen yet. Just took a look at it online and it is different than the others, does not seem to be triangulated and uses a pan hard bar. I will take a closer look and read over the details on it and see if there are any videos detailing an install.

For the engine and trans it has the original 390 and C6. I have been trying to decide what to do. Maybe a 351w or Coyote but what ever the decision ends up being there I will keep the original parts.

Thanks again for the replies.

JR

1966Mustang likes this.