1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

starting line ratio

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by Jetmech, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Jetmech

I know most guys run a PG w/1.80 gearset with a rear gear from either 3.08-3.55, but I'm running a c4 and I'm not looking to change up my drive train just yet. I want to get this setup running and would like to get the most out of it before I go that route. With that said, it's a single 84mm FI billet turbo, 4.6 4 valve in an '03 cobra about 3400lbs and run either a 28x10.5 slick or 275 pro's depending on where I race. I have a 3.55 in it now but with the 2.46 1st gear I want to slow down the wheel speed at the starting line, so I'm thinking 3.08. I'm thinking about how I see a PG turbo car act with such a low(numerical) gear and I was wondering if anyone else is running similar to what I'm running and what rear gear? I don't know how much this helps but for power, I've been told by Jose @ Forced Inductions that this turbo can make 1200+Hp. Also I will be driving this on the streets every once and a while as well.

2. ashford

best bet is to set gearing for near redline at the traps. what rpm are you spinning that motor? i have 3.08 pg on a 383sbf i do 152 in the quarter at 6400rpm. i have way more engine torque available than a 4.6 of similar hp at the starting line and my best 60" is a 1.45

3. 99TTGT

on a 275MT pro's at 15 psi/18psi of tire pressure( depending on the track) try 3.08's & go from there till you founds what she likes with you transmission setup.
    then once you find out the sweet spot,start playing with your suspencion.Once that is done, you also need to play with your boost controller...

4. Jetmech

I'm going to assume you mean that you have more than 1200hp with a turbo...If so, then yes your statement would be true but just because you have a larger CI motor than a 4.6 does not mean you make more torque. Look at Mihovetz, he just went 5.92 in the 1/4 and he runs a mod motor...you still think you make more torque than he does? Also the converter, and will also tell you what rpm and MPH you should be going through the traps. I'm going to be pulling mine to be re-done for the new setup from the blower set up that is in there now , so I don't have that info yet. Also my best 60' was a 1.30 with a blower.

5. Jetmech

Yeah that was the plan, I was hoping that I was thinking right with where to go with the rear gearing with a 3 speed.

6. ashford

no reason to get butthurt, read what i said more carefully,i said compared to a mod motor of SIMILAR hp. it is a point of reference, what you were asking for. and my 60' is not that good at all for my horespower(about 850) and i have all of my torque available at the starting line, the only good thing about it is i can hold said acceleration to almost 100mph

7. Jetmech

I was not butt hurt, but I appologize if it sounded like I was attacking you because that was not my intention. I did read what you wrote, the problem with your statement is there is more variables (launch rpm, converter effency, eng. compression etc.) in forced induction with a turbo. one good example is: where you are on the compressor map when you launch, the better the effency island the more torque that is available. So let's say you're at 50% effency island and I'm at 70+% and your converter has too much slip or even just 5% more than mine when you launch. Not deffinativly, but there's a good chance the smaller c.i. engine will be making more torque. My point was that you can not measure torque between two different c.i. turbo motors as you could when they are naturally asperated.