1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Starting a turbo that has been sitting up.

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by jd30176, Mar 17, 2018.

1. jd30176

I have just purchased 77 Dodge ram charger with a 318. It has a turbo and has been upgraded to a 4bbl carb. It hasn't been ran in 10 years. Woman that I bought it from said that it ran fine before it was parked. I'm a decent mechanic, but i know absolutely nothing about turbos. What kind of maintenance, ect needs to be done to the turbo before start up? Thanks, Jeremy

2. Mnlx

If you know nothing about the turbo, it's not a bad idea to pull the filter off the turbo, and check its condition (shaft play, compressor wheel), but really nothing needs to be done, just let it idle until oil pressure is up. If you want to pre oil the turbo, pull the feed line, and fitting off the top, and fill the cavity with oil.

3. Drac0nic

I was going to say check the fluid levels, change the oil/filter, check the air filter prime it if you're into such things and go. If the carb is a Holley and the fuel pump is electric, I'd probably also run it to fill the float bowls up and make sure that your needle/seat don't need attention and flood the engine out. You may find out that there's some junk in there from evaporated gas.

ED:due to the date of the vehicle, one of the first upgrades I would make is to a wide band oxygen sensor.

4. Disney Lincoln

I want to see pics of this set up!