1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

standalone speed density tuning question...

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by foxfan88, Nov 20, 2009.

1. foxfan88

Ive never been able to figure this out. But ive been tuning my mustang with a quarterhorse with the stock computer, of course this a MAF based EEC. So as long as the MAF curve is correct and you injector slopes are good. In a nutshell you simple specify your desired AFRs/Lambda in a Fuel table which and the EEC calculates the fuel for that ratio you want.

On the standalone stuff. It seems most of them are speed density ( can use MAFs) but seems most people are using speed density.
    How is the fueling handled. From what i have read there is just the base fuel table. and not a "target fuel" table?
    For grins i downloaded the AEMpro software just to sift around and see how the stand alone stuff is set up. I didnt see any sort of target fuel table. Are you just supposed to tweak the values in the base fuel table until you get the AFRs you want by watching a WB?? Ive never tuned with a standalone but would like to get one for my car someday. I was just wondering about i never knew for sure.

2. blacksaleen95

you got it. no more scalers or any of that bs. you adjust the base fuel map pw to accommodate whatever afr you're tuning for. So much easier to tune.

3. foxfan88

awesome thanks for the fast reply.

4. BottleFed70

FYI: Megasquirt has a target AFR table that you can use with a wideband O2 sensor. This allows for faster/better EGO compensation. Nothing like a "target fuel" table tho.

5. foxfan88

Yeah i was aware of that. Does that table just specify what AFR to trim fuel to in that particual cell of the base fuel table?

6. Matt Cramer

You need to get the VE table tuned in so it is hitting the AFR targets correctly, and then you can adjust the AFR target and the fueling moves with it. (At least with certain code versions.)

7. my8950

Target A/F table doesn't really do much for you unless you can adjust something to get to your target. If we all had just a Target A/F table to set, there would be no reason to have much else.

8. underpsi68

On a good system once you get the VE right on the fuel map you should just be able to adjust the A/F target table and the A/F should be dead on for that load/rpm. No playing with the fuel map any more.

9. BottleFed70

It will never replace a basic VE table, but there is a big benifit to having a target AFR table.