1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

MS3 with 3X add on

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by hpbob, Feb 19, 2011.

1. hpbob

Hi Guys,

Is anyone using the new Mega squirt 3 with Msx on a LS motor yet? I have a LQ4 LS motor with cam going into my 74 camaro. I am going to add a S400 turbo. I want to run mega squirt for fuel and timing instead of using the MSD 6010 box for timing too. Why buy 2 computers when the new Mega Squirt can supposedly do both. I havent found any threads of anyone running the new MS3 in sequential fire on here or the LS1 tech board on a LS motor. I would like to see how someone did it and made a wiring harness to hook up to the factory cam and crank sensor connectors on the LQ4 LS motor. I would love to see someone's build thread going into these new uncharted waters. :cheers:

Hpbob1

2. ashford

i set up a 5.3 vortec in a firebird for a friend of mine on a ms2. i did this before the 24x decoder was written, lets say it was a pita. now it should be fairly easy. i have a ms3x setup in my capri with a 36-1 wheel and 8 ls coils on my 347. i have a ms2(currently building an ms3) in my drag car. its a stroked windsor and basically the same setup as my other car.

also the guy that writes the code for ms3 has a 5.3 and used it for the alpha testing on the ms3

3. hpbob

Hi Ashford,

Thanks for the response. I guess the hardest part is getting a connector to plug into the factory LQ4 LS truck motor cam and crank sensor plugs on the engine and then fabricating a cable wire with correct pins to plug into the MS3x ECU. Maybe Dynotune or someone already makes this? Am I making a bigger deal of this then I should now? lol I know the MSD 6010 BOX comes with a cable that plugs right into the factory cam & crank sensor plugs. The only other wiring is for pos & negative for power to the MSD box.

Once this timing cable is fabricated and connected to the MS3, it should be straight forward to simply configure MS3 ignition settings for the GM LS motor in initial MS3 setup? I am trying to eliminate the need for the classic MSI or MSII for fueling and MSD 6010 box for timing on most LS motor setups now. I am a newb to Mega squirt but I see the potential here. Besides I dont want to buy 2 seperate ECU's for fueling and (MSD) timing.

I am guessing the MS3x is straight forward to set up in initial ECU set up for sequential fire in the LS motor firing and injector squirting order? The LSX motor swap to all kinds of hot rod vehicles is probably the most popular engine swap there is right now. One would think that that there would be a thread or website somewhere on using a MS3x for fueling and timing on a LSX motor. Do you know of anyone's build thread that shows the details of installing and tuning a MS3X on a LSX motor? How about getting a base tune to start from on a LS motor? Thanks for any advice to a newb here Ashford! :cheers:

Hpbob1

4. ashford

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/ls1.html

links to the setup

also if you want a ms do some reading, get your fingers wet with hardware, do some more reading. megasquirt can do alot of stuff, so get a good idea of what you need to do before you do it.

5. hpbob

Hi Ashford,

Thanks for the link. It has helped a lot. As far as configuring I believe the only thing I will configure the MS3x is for the LS sequential injection and factory multiple coil crank/cam triggered timing. I am guessing the Gen III LS cam and crank sensors are magnetic hall effect. Things such as electric fan control, electric boost control actuation, are computer outputs based on sensor inputs such as coolant temps, map, and tps. Programming in a 2 step for timing and drag launches is about programming the MS3 ECU correct? Im plan on running pump gas with meth injection and air to air intercooler. My trans will be a turbo 400 with transbrake. So I dont see what other configuring I have to look for unless I am missing something here in my planning. My 74 camaro will be a weekend warrior street/strip with lots of 1/8th mile strip runs. Eventualy I would like to be in the 5's in the 1/8th and high 8's in the quarter and still be able to drive my car on the street.

A final question. Is there any advantage to running the MSD 6010 box for timing as far as muitli spark discharge for controlling the coils that MS3 will not have etc? Any difference as far as firing the factory truck coils for a high hp boosted application? Eventually when I build up a forged shortblock I may be looking for 1000 to 1200 flywheel hp. Thanks for any advice. :cheers:

Hpbob1

6. ashford

mainly it is a lot of wiring with the ms3/ms3x if you buy the assembled 3.0board or 3.57board. a little bit of twiddling with the vr pots, the 24x wheel is basically plug and play the 58x may need some experimenting. as for the msd box, i don't think there will be any advantage to it other than it is plug and play and probably less reliable. the ms can controll the dwell to the coil( these ls coils have a damn hot spark) and multispark wont help any.