1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Standalone question

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by mikeextrafast, Jan 23, 2011.

1. mikeextrafast

My car is a 93 coupe with a dart 347 w billet dbb 76mm the car is 100% for the STREET oh yea AC ..
    IF i remove the stock computer and go with a stand alone what guages wil i lose in my dash? All of my guages currently work ,I even had a speedo cable made to goto the fox dash and the powerglide trans

2. Andy Dorsett

All will still work as they do not interface with the ECM. For example your car already has two coolant sensors (one for the gauge and one for the stock ECM). The standalone simply replaces the one in the ECM location to a GM one and the gauge still uses the other one.

3. Matt Cramer

The only potential problem is if you get crazy with ignition mods, as the stock tach is driven off the factory ignition module. Most of your standalones have an option to run a tach, though, so that isn't a major issue. The other gauges are not connected to the engine management at all. The mod motor Mustangs had an ECU-controlled tach and went to fully ECU controlled gauges around 2000, but Fox bodies don't have the ECU running the gauges at all.

4. R_Williams

How about lights and turn signals and such??? Ive heard that the megasquirt wont power these things. Is this true for foxbodies with megasquirt or does it still apply to just 2000 and above?

5. Matt Cramer

The MegaSquirt won't power the lights and turn signals. The stock ECU doesn't, either. They are entirely separate from the stock ECU and on their own circuit. They still work as normal with a MegaSquirt installed.

6. R_Williams

How about any of the guages? I guess what Im asking is there anything that the Megasquirt wont power or control that the stock ECU does?

***nevermind I read it above***

7. 93wannabe

the op and water temp are part of the fuel charge harness. you will lose those two but they are easy to wire for. Some adaptation will be needed for the tach too. I have a stand alone and a full functioning cluster with no a/m gauges lol