1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Standalone oil system (long ish)

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by c5vette211, Jun 3, 2013.

1. c5vette211

not sure if this is a good section for this but...

I am building a standalone oil system for my rear mount TT journal bearing, and wanted some incite from those who have been down this road. I have a crude drawing of what I am trying to accomplish and wanted to see if anyone would rearrange any components to achieve better results. oilsetup.jpg #ad

to describe this better... I am using an-6 fittings and 3/8 inch hose. I will have a oil tank in the rear compartment of my C5. the line will run out the compartment and into a filter mounted on the outside. from the filter will run to a shurflo 12 VDC, 1.7 GPM open flow, 35 PSI Bypass, Buna valves, Geolast diaphragm. from there will T into the turbos. from the turbo will go either into a cooler or into the pump as of now I was thinking pump then cooler. I will be using a Setrab 6 1/2" x 4" with a fan attached.

worries:
    1.pressure control. not enough or too much. will be doing bench test prior to install. I can rig a Potentiometer to control the voltage of the pump :shrugs:

2. placement of pumps in the line to allow effective psi

oilsetup.jpg #ad

2. jaredsamurai

I would put the scav pump so it draws from the cooler. It will give it more life. I had a friend run his remote mount that way with no issues.

3. joeqsmith

What is the part number for the pump you plan to use?

4. c5vette211

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] shurflo 8000-643-210[/FONT]

5. joeqsmith

Can one pump handle the flow and pressure needed for the journal bearing turbos and boost levels you plan to use? Looking at the PDF
    http://www.pumpagents.com/pdf/ShurfloPumps/8000-643-210.pdf
    I am surprised it would work for very long for a single turbo let alone two of them. At 40 PSI there is no flow. Post what you come up with and how it works for you.

6. c5vette211

I have plans to use two pumps. However.... I have been trying to get in touch with someone at shurflo to get a better application. That pump was something I found on a different forum someone suggested because it was good for them. However that was just as a scavenge, so thats why I planned on using two, but if surflo can give me a better option i will go with it. I would be more inclined to use this pump as a return and something with more GPM to feed. Yes I will post what I find out from shurflo.... if they ever get back to me... :thumbs:

7. joeqsmith

I meant I am surprised a single pump like this would work for the supply side. Why I asked about pressure / flow rate requirements at the boost you plan to run. Scavenge is low pressure. You may need a separate pump for the supply side of each turbo. You may want to contact the turbo supplier and get an idea what the requirements are for your turbos, then design an oil system for that.

I have not tried what your attempting but I have damaged a few journal bearings from lack of oil. Make sure you consider how the oil will move in the tank and that the pickup can't get air in it!

8. c5vette211

I see what you were asking. i know there will be somethere flow issues and plan on doing extensive bench test(hook up entire system minus the turbo) to save my bearings. i plan on getting something i think will do the trick thwn worst case scenario i return it and try a different pump I need 15-20psi to the turbo and I will be running 5-7 boost looking to be 550-600 HP. what are you referring to when you say the pick up can't get air in it?

9. joeqsmith

Wow, that low of supply pressure for a modern journal bearing. My old turbos needed 30 PSI min to live and could flow well over a quart/min under boost. What turbos are you using that can live with that low pressure?

You just want to make sure your tank design keeps the oil pickup covered at all times. Air is not going to keep the parts in suspension and it doesn't take much to damage one.

10. c5vette211

precision PTB400-1474 6176S (2x) I got that info from a different forum and may not be 100% accurate. I just wrote to Precision to see what they say is min operating pressure on that model. I made a 6-7qt tank so it should be very full at all times.

IMG_20130320_131834.jpg #ad
    DSC_0095.jpg #ad

IMG_20130320_131834.jpg #ad

DSC_0095.jpg #ad

11. c5vette211

12. c5vette211

here is the response I got from precision about the recomended oil pressure. "We recommend the use of a -4AN feed line and feed fitting, not restriction. We also suggest a -10AN (5/8" ID) drain line minimum. Suggested oil pressure is 15-85 PSI, but more oil pressure can be used."

13. c5vette211

So I guess this brings up another question.... Do I follow their suggestions and use an-4 feed and an-10 return even though I am going through 1200000000xxxxxx components?

14. joeqsmith

Did they give you any worst case flow rates? Hard to believe they will live at 15 PSI, but if they are willing to warranty them with that low a pressure, no problem.

I would not measure the pressure at the pump with 1200000000xxxxxx feet 4 line connecting it to the turbo. Measure pressure at each turbo's inlet.

Nice job on the tank. If your running that tank full, should be fine. Having that pickup on one side of the tank, I could see how if it were half full of oil could suck air unless you have some sort of trap door baffle or something else in there.

15. c5vette211

I will have to ask them what the warranty covers. I bought these a long time ago and cant remember what pressure I was running on my last build so... haha funny you mention baffles...... I had full intention to make this really awesome baffle system inside bla bla bla welded it shut and went "S@!T"I didnt feel like cutting and re welding so i figured it would be fine. I guess we will see. I will have to keep my 20deg rolls to a min. any suggestion on the an sizing I will measure at the turbo for sure. I already have tons of an 6 crap and wanted to use that. also found this today for pump alternative one has a lower flow rate but can maintain same pressure so im not sure what to go with. The cheaper one from what I read has a built in check valve not sure if both do.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_9414_9414

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_357081_357081

16. c5vette211

17. joeqsmith

Are you trying to make a weed sprayer now? If your still working on the car, have a look at Weldon. Expect to pay $500 -$800 range for a pump. Not sure if you will find a pump from them that will keep your turbos alive.

18. c5vette211

haha yeah its a new mosquito fogger vehicle I told the county keep the crappy truck I got a race car and can do a route half the time lmao!!!! I think I'll stick to the shurflo I have read tons of real work sucsess with them in the turbo world and quite a few failure stories with Weldon.

19. joeqsmith

It's the internet. Most people just copy what others post and soon everyone starts believing it because it's been copied so many times, it must be true.

Now, if you know someone who you have actually seen with a system like this working, I would talk with them first and forget what you read on the net.

I have not seen a closed loop system like this work but I have talked with a few people who have attempted it. From my own oil system woes, the only real advice I can give you is to get the data logger hooked up. Using a logger, I was able to make enough very short pulls and save the turbo while I sorted it out. The one thing you have going for you is the low boost pressures you plan to run. Will be waiting to read your findings. Good luck.

20. c5vette211

yeah unfortunately its hard to weed through the bs and no one I know has attempted this so I have to turn to the forums... not many people have done this in general so...given that I think I will buy a few pumps and set it up off the car and see what happens then buy and return pumps until I'm happy with what I have. precision has a large range of recommended pressure so if I shoot for 80 and end up with 60 under load I'm still good in theory...