1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Stand alone Harness bar.????

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by Bte85nova, Oct 4, 2023.

1. Bte85nova

I DO NOT WANT TO CAGE MY CAR.
    That being said. Has anyone done just a removable harness bar?
    Id like to have a 5 point harness for the track and use my 3 point stock type belts on the street.

Pics please.

2. B E N

Usually a harness bar goes with at least a roll bar, which would be less intrusive than a cage. If you roll the car with a 5 point, and have nothing to keep the roof from caving your body cannot get out of the space when the roof collapses. It makes the car more dangerous.

You also have to have a specific angle on the seat belts in relation to your seating position, which will be hard to achieve without a bar or cage.

Aren't you running at a speed/ET where NHRA requires you to have a bar or cage anyway? I understand not wanting one, they are a pain and compromise.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2023
  3. TurboSnake281

I know for our sn95 mustangs they make detachable harness bars that bolts on via special brackets on each sides front window rear side pillars where the seat belt loops through to come down your shoulder. Hope that helps. Been waiting for the day I get to buy mine and some race seats!

4. sam51

Ive seen harness bars in a few cars, my opinion for what its worth, without at least a roll bar to add strength and stability to that harness bar it can become a danger as you crash or roll, it can break free and hit you or passengers in the car, I myself would use a roll bar at a minimum if you want the harness bar just to be safe. My last drag car that I put back on the street still retained most of the cage just for safety sake, I modified the rear seat to fit around the roll cage when I reinstalled it.

5. Mnlx

They make a floor mount harness.

6. sam51

I tried those once, I think they called it a Y harness, I wasn't really happy with the way they mounted and the over all feel didn't feel right to me.