1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Ok, 1st Question why did my stock motor blowup

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 67/o7, Sep 16, 2007.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 67/o7

I had a local reputably shop install a hellion turbo on my 07 Mustang GT.
    8 Miles down the road it broke 4 rods at 3/4 of a way down on the stupid pedal ,4000 plus rpm .

2. D347643

did you have it tuned

3. 67/o7

O ya they did the whole thing 7 grand later. Sent me on my way with what they called a super save tune. YA RIGHT

4. D347643

you shouldnt be asking us, you should be asking THEM why the hell your engine took a shit.

5. D347643

oh and btw i remember reading a thread kinda recently where a guy got his turbo car tuned and the tuner forgot to plug the chip back in..........you get the idea haha

6. 67/o7

Thanks for all your help great info here :bang:

7. NoWhining

Well the only way to tell now, is to have another "reputable" shop look at the motor and tell you why it blew up.

Could be the tune, could be fuel, could be anything. But I would be all over them right now.

8. nosnovi

you've gotta be kidding..

9. D347643

whats with that comment?? i dont see you adding anything to the convo....

10. Drac0nic

Yeah, have it checked over by another reputable shop. Then call the other one and ask what they're willing to do about it.

11. rtz

Did you hear any detonation? What did the fuel system consist of?

12. Chacata

That sounds wastegate line off to me. But that's just me.

13. rickyhaiber

67/o7 - Don't you have an MMR900 shortblock, too?

I feel your pain, brother...it sucks. What shop did the work and tuning?

14. SlowJoe

how about starting with the shop name, how much hp you made,

15. rickyhaiber

I'm not exactly sure but I thought I read another post by him saying he has a build AOD trans, a MMR900hp shortblock w/ported heads, a hellion single turbo kit, and it was making something like 440rwhp?

EDIT-his stock setup blew up and I was assuming the setup in his sig blew up. :-X

Either way I would think your stock shortblock could have handled the 440hp it made for more than the 8 miles you drove it before it blew up.

16. Anthony Fury

Do those motors have powder metal rods?

17. TT_05_Stang

Yes.

turbo guys make reliable 550rwhp on the 3v motors. After that they get sketchy. Dean made 700+ and Justin Burcham made 700+ on a stock shortblock. With that said... they are the only two I know of who got that much out of them before they popped.

Most of the failures were due to running too much timing. Most of the guys running Hellion kits are 9-10 PSI and 500+. running strong.

Will

18. 65ShelbyClone

Aside from the Hellion kit and MMR900 shortblock, we have no way of knowing what else the shop did, what the car did, or even what you did.

Overspun? Too much timing? Ran lean? Ran hot? Ran pump 87? Bad tune? No tune? Ran out of fuel?

See what I mean?

19. NoWhining

Im still curious as to what all the pertinent information is on this situation. Shop, tuner, etc etc. You could be saving other people alot of misery and mistfortune if they are heading to this shop.

20. xr8tt

I would say its the nut ????