1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Anyone know the stock turbo specs for deisel trucks?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by SleepySierra, Sep 19, 2007.

1. SleepySierra

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. There's a TON of usefull information on here, good work.

I am going to be starting a project in the next couple months and I'm trying to learn more about turbos and tuning. I'm currently trying to find a "less expensive" turbo set up for a GMC 6.0L. One idea i had was taking stock turbos off wrecked deisel trucks since there are ALOT of them here in the wreckers.
    does some one know the sizes, airflow (lbs/min), hp rating? for the turbos on any of the newer turbo diesel trucks.

thx in advance.

2. 65ShelbyClone

Dodge/Cummins engines have Holsets. The 5.9 engine uses an HX35, HY35, or HE351 turbo depending on year. There is a ton of info on these so search for it. HX40s are considered upgrades for them.

Chevy/Isuzu used to have IHIs, but now I think they might use some screwy VNT Garrett like the Fords.

Ford/International has been using Garretts all along and more recently with the hydraulically actuated VNT option. See above.