1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1. cat herder

Doing a carb'd SBC with a single 62-1, P-trim .81 turbine. I have a stock low mile 267 ready to go, or I can screw together a 350 from spare parts. Either one would be with small cam/stock idle. 267 has to keep the 416 iron heads 'cause of the bore size, 350 would be either ported 186s or aluminum L98s. I can also do a 383 with parts from the pile, but I'm afraid that combo would hit full boost at 1600rpm.

The question: Is 350ci too much for that turbine?

2. john01374

3. cat herder

Thanks for the input! That's info you just can't get from an online calculator.

I think I'm leaning towards the 267 though. Reason being, I'd actually like some lag, so that it will drive like normal until it's time to not be normal. I'll never be able to max out this turbo unless I make big changes to the car, limiting factor is that it still has the 7.5" rear in it. Even without sticky tires, more than 450hp or so will probably make stuff fall out on the ground.

4. turbofreek

Build the smaller motor and run the turbo for all it can make. Have fun breaking the rearend and put in an 8.5 or am 8.8 and just have fun. Once you go bigger it gets expensive. Make sure you put up a build though, I love me some budget builds that end with smiles

5. Drac0nic

Throw a $100 cam in your 267 and some new valve springs. The 60-1 would probably "like" that engine better if you're not afraid to lean on it (why would you be, it's a 267) as the compressor would probably put out more power at a higher pressure ratio. I do not believe 416es are stock on ANY 267 btw as I believe they stopped making them at the time 416es were out. If they are the 1.84/1.5 heads they should be a nice upgrade especially with a dash of porting or a good valve job. At least enough to make how ever much power you want to with that engine.

6. cat herder

You're right, I just went down and looked and the 267 has 415s on it, the 416s are bare and in the corner with the other useless heads. I thought 415 and 416 were the same - but 415 has the tiny 1.7-whatever intake? The bare 416s are already partially ported (just never finished) but I'm hesitant to crack the 267 open, as all the replacement head gaskets have bores WAY bigger than the 3.5" cylinders. It's a 40k-mile virgin except for a Comp XE250 (206/212 @ .050). That'd be a tiny little cam in a 350, but in a 267 not so much.

7. Drac0nic

To hell with cracking it open it sounds like it has a fairly stout cam in it for 267 CID just throw it in and run it. If you had the top end off I'd be inclined to say go with the 416es but this sort of suicide mission doesn't merit consuming time or $. I made that mistake on my 305 and spent a lot more $ than I should have (still not really all that much have about 600 in the long block and intake) next one is going to be a goal of about half of that I think. I wouldn't sweat the bore size in the gaskets either really most of the time they say you should run a gasket conducive to your chamber which with 416es would mean 305s IMO.

8. wantabe

i would go the smaller cube, will just help the turbo process the exhaust