1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

spyder intake vs tfs w/ box upper (351w)

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by gtluke, Mar 20, 2005.

1. gtluke

currently, i have the tfs intake with their box upper and i can't close my hood. i currently have 1.25" spacers in my k-member to drop my motor down in the body so i can close the hood. (yes i have drop mounts also) 2.5" cowl hood.

this spring's project for me is to get my car running agani, and get my hood to close without the frame spacers.

i think i can sell my trick flow setup, and have enough cash to purchase a spyder intake and gain fuel rails out of the deal. (still running stockers)
    with the spyder, i can point the throttle body forward, and since i'm also going to ditch my distributor this year, it will work out nice and give me hood clearance. i'll probably end up making my own t.b. elbow because precision is out of the elbows, and they have no idea when they are getting more in. so i can aim it more down and gain hood clearance. i'm pretty damn sure just with the spyder in any form, i will be able to close my hood.

okay now the other half.
    power an torque. with the 351w and a 3000 lb car, its already extreamly dangerous. i can blow the tires off in 4th on the highway. so if i lose some torque, i don't think that is a problem.
    other issue....
    stock bottom end. i don't want to be revving this thing over 6k

i'm currently running 1/2 bar on a pte67gtq and it trapped 100mph in the 1/8th so if i can just keep this thing together, i can have a decently fast car.

i COULD try and mill my tfs intake and get it to fit. i dunno if any of you have seen how it fits together, but you can mill 1/4" off the lower, 1/4" off the adapter, and 1/4" off the upper and i bet i can close my hood.
    but i don't know anyone that can do this correctly or if it can even be done

input? suggestions?

2. EXQQSME

hummm i have a 351w with a tfs-r intake and it hits my hood also i have thought about puting a spider intake on my combo as well but the price diffrence is what holds me back.

how much extra $$$$ would you have to come up with?

3. gtluke

none. spyder intakes just got REAL cheap :)
    edelbrok makes the victor with fuel injectors bungs for $350 now. rails are another $80
    i think my tfs intake is worth like $400 or something. maybe less its $650 new
    and i have to buy rails this year either way.
    just the throttle body elbow is what i have to worry about. if precision had them in stock, i'd do this right now. but its going to be a while. i'm a precision master wholesaler, so its pretty cheap :)

4. Dave88LX

Ahhh, I was wondering why you were selling that other Spyder intake.

5. gtluke

lol dave shhh
    i sold that for $325 and i'm going to get a brand new edelbrok one for $40 more with rails
    lmao
    nobody knows edelbrok is selling them with bungs and rails now for 1/2 the price of the custom ones.

6. Dave88LX

Yep! I got mine for $550 w/ the fuel rails and elbow.

7. koupe377

Wilson Manifold's has elbows. They're 110' so they point down a little.

8. ConradS

are they available yet from edelbrock or only from gtluke?

9. ConradS

you would still need the elbow though to attach the tb to right? I wonder what kind of gains if any you would see on a typical street car though....idle-6000 rpm over a long runner...i mean these are not N/A motors that rev to 7500 rpm here

10. Dave88LX

11. ConradS

12. Dave88LX

You will need an elbow from one of the many various sources (CHP, Reichard Racing, make your own, other places too).

That E-Brock does not include the elbow. I have not seen the Vic Jr., that's not to say they WON'T be making one, but I've only seen it in the Super Vic.

13. lo fo do

tfs box

I have the new tfs box intake on my 351 w . / and it clears my cobra r hood with no problem. I just installed a hp turbo kit and i heard that this intake is great for my set up. We will see. I'llpost soom pix. Thanks mike

14. gtluke

i just really don't want to buy a bigger hood. i really like mine. actually i'm thinking about setting the engine back an inch and i know it will give me at least another 1/2" of hood clearance. maybe thats all i need.

15. Mustang8650

i milled off 1/2" off my tfs box upper too...fit great with about 1/8" clearance and no issues...i'd say if ya wanna keep it just mill that puppy down a little. I took all the material out of the spacer.

16. turbostang

FWIW - I used the R upper first and the car was running 6.4's all day long like it was going out of style. I changed to the SPYDER and the car went a 6.21! ( also added FAST at this time - but the tune was pretty close either way)

My hood (4" cowl) was closer the other way with the R upper. The spyder from CHP uses an elbow that is not taller but rather it sticks out towards the fender a bit more. The tube to the throttle body touches the hood slightly but it's not that bad - it's silicone.

17. gtluke

hmm interesting.
    thanks for the input guys