1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cal Tracs...

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by D & E Dart, Sep 25, 2013.

1. D & E Dart

Anyone using them with success?? Have a friend that has them on his Mopar A-body and is having fits with them. Car is consistently in-consistent 60' wise. He has tried damn near everything, but it remains consistently in-consistent. He is being told that the problem is the fact that A-body springs have a very short front spring segment. That he needs to run stiff sidewall slicks with tubes at 14 or so psi and it will settle down some. Last we spoke he is talking about ladder bars/coil overs. But he has talked about just putting the Super Stock springs back on it as well......

2. Rickracer

Many of the V8 S-10 guys run Cal-Tracs (or homebuilt clones), and they work VERY well.

3. rdakota340

Cal-tracs do not very well with super stock springs there to stiff he really needs to get the mono leafs.

4. D & E Dart

He has mono leafs.....

5. Jo Diesel

You really need some slo mo video from the rear to see what the the car is doing on launch. I bet it is leaving crooked which will give you totally unpredictable 60' times. Might try playing with spring or torsion bar offset or moving weight around. Cal-Tracks should make it more consistent if leaving straight

6. cpurtellII

Cal tracs work very well. if he is leaving crooked as suggested time for an anti roll bar and cal tracs.

7. turbostang500

Messed with homemade cal tracs on a 79 camaro and it hooked much better with them. Does the pivot at the front bushing rotate freely or tightly?

8. AABob

You need to measure the front end travel, as it's critical for Caltracs to work properly. Ideal is at LEAST 5" of travel from rest to full extension.
    I was chasing problems with my Nova that had Caltracs on it (hook then spin, sometimes hook, sometimes spin, etc.), was changing preload, hole placement, rear shock settings, etc.. I then spoke with John Calvert about it, and he told me about to measure the front end travel. I found I had 2-1/2" of travel from rest to extension. I modified the front end till I got 7" of travel, and the car would hook hard and pull the wheels every pass on 275 drag radials.

[​IMG]#ad

9. Chuck L

OP, a clue: " I then spoke with John Calvert about it". When in doubt, go to the "horses mouth".:grin:

10. AABob

Thread was started in September of last year.. Hopefully he got it dialed in :)

11. rdakota340

I'm going to be tuning mine soon also we need all the help we can get :cheers:

12. 3pedals

My home made copys work great!
    Shocks are important! ! What shocks are you running?

13. rdakota340

I'm running regular shocks got to get some good shocks but they are pricey the ones from Calvert Racing is the ones I want.

14. AABob

Caltracs are an engineered system.. use their shocks and split monoleaf springs.