1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Bad Differential Guy Mitchell Differential Ma

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by ng8264723, Jan 9, 2014.

1. ng8264723

Mitchell differential in Shrewsbury Ma
    Beware!
    So I took my truck to Mitchell differential for the frontdifferential. They found that I had 2different ratios 3:42's in the front and 3:73's in the back ( I had recently replaced the rear with a usedunit from my friend's Junkyard. I guess he gave me the wrong ratio). They removed the rear cover to access thegears to check the ratio. I paid them torepair the front diff. They rebuilt itand installed new gears to match the back. I seldom use 4 wheel drive basically,only in the snow.
    I drove the car in a few storms over the nextten days. I then noticed some rear endnoise. I went to check the oil. Since it is a Chevy ten bolt you need to pullthe plug on the right front of the carrier to fill it. My first hint to there mistake was the 3/8extension would not fit in the plug b/c it was caked with mud. Since it is Jan and freezing this mudimpaction happened some time ago. Ifthey had filled it should have still been clean. Only ten days had passed. I took the plug out stuck my finger in thehole and found no oil. I added 2 quartswithout it leaking out. It was bonedry! I called up the shop and brought itthe next day for their inspection. Theowner accused me of draining the oil out of the rear myself! He actually said he did not trust me andthere is no way his shop made a mistake.

2. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Did you ever get this resolved with them? If not, try contacting the Better Business Bureau to file a complaint.

3. half-fast

and this is why i hate being in a automotive service business, employees are functional retards. Is this the turbo truck too?

4. 91turboterror

What happened the owner doesn't stand behind his work? What would you really get out of it if you drained the oil from the diff like he accused you of? More headache ? The truck being down? If something happened like that that's what business insurance is for. If he won't do anything about it call the BBB & take that jackass to court. What did he give you a taillight warranty lol?

5. Rickracer

It would have been smart for you to take a pic of the fill plug before taking it out, and maybe even a video of pulling the cover off. (I know I know, hind sight's 20/20), but I've been there and done that behind other "mechanics", and been to court more than once as an expert witness, against the original shop that did F-ed up work, and/or charged for stuff they didn't do, and our side WON both times, ;):thumbsup:

6. 91turboterror

If the owner won't do anything for you he is just a douchebag & diserves everything he gets. If that happened to me that owner better watch his back.

7. Chuck L

An ass whippin', and some really bad publicity...comes to mind.

8. ng8264723

The owner called me back and said he was having a bad week. I said OK. He said he would work with me. I told him I was going to buy a nine inch from EBAY (a large vendor). They are around $2,200 with all new components. He asked me to send him the link so he could compare apples to apples. I told him i would pay him the $2,200 and I would be happy if he would just installed it. The installation would make up for my destroyed rear. He said he would get back to me. I then called three times over the week. I spoke with his employee he wouldn't come to the phone. I then had an issue with my 4 wheel drive. he also didn't call back. So I'm letting the credit card company sort this out. I want enough money to at least cover a newer rear (10 inch variety). that is what his company destroyed. I'm not expecting to win a new 9 inch. I just want what i had. As mentioned I was even willing to give him another rear end job

- - - Updated - - -

Oh this is my twin turbo truck