1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Spherical bushings on the street ?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by stangman9897, Nov 21, 2010.

1. stangman9897

Anybody running spherical bushed control arms on the street. My tuner told me to stay away from them for street use ( track only ) he said they make to much noise on the street. He knows what a freek i am about rattles and noises in my car and said they would drive me crazy. Is this true. ?

2. 10secgoal

If your a freak about it, yeah, listen to him.

3. livefast1

Switchin back to urethane whenever my car becomes mobile again. You could always do spherical on the axle end and urethane on the other. I believe thats how umi's lowers are.

4. underpsi68

I run spherical bushing on both ends of the upper arms and have no prblems at all,100% street car.

5. 04mx

Do you guys have a CLUNK when you put it in reverse or forward ?

6. livefast1

Yes, its obnoxious as hell. Your gonna feel any backlash in the gears transfer through the body, it wouldn't make sense not to. I think mine is also due to my lakewood 50/50's being bad.

7. 04mx

Mine dosn't have alot of backlash on the gear , I always thought it was the sphericals on the uppers turning in and out when i backup then put it in gear because they are at an angle .

Makes my car sound like an old POS clunker even tho everything is new under their.

8. SHONUF816

If it's your daily driver, i probably wouldn't do it but, if it is not then go for it. they will make a clunking sound but not all of the time. they are well worth it as far as consistency though. to each it's own!

9. underpsi68

I drorve my ar about 300 iles the last 2 weeks. What I found is the following:

I don't get a clunk when I put it in gear but it does cluck when I shift (hard shifting transmission).

I do get a whine inside the passanger compartrment. My car is VERY quiet though. If it wasn't stock sounding I probably wouldn't hear anything. It is not the rear because it did this on 2 completely different rears. Same sound on both. I believe it is the harmonics from the rear/tires that is getting to the frame. It's not bad really, but it is there. I didn't notice it till this post and listened more closely the last time out.

10. yellowpony

I get a bad clunk going from fwd to rev and on shifts on the street. I thought this was the transmission but its the bushings. I hear every bump the car goes over, but that's the price you pay i guess.

Anthony

11. jt351

Just put loud exhaust on it won't hear anything. I run spherical everywhere I don't seem to hear anything much extra. But there are different quality of shperical. The tight ones with nylon are quiet unless your gears whine.

12. mayer5oh

my front c/os clunk a lot more than the bushings in the rear. the only thing i ever hear back there is if i really nail a bump the antiroll bar hits the floor.

13. Slim93GT

I use UPR lowers with solid bushings and get zero clunks or rattles. The front spherical joint does have a liner though.

14. 04mx

i think my noise is comming from the uppers .

15. Unatural

A long time ago, I had a used set of UPR uppers and lowers with spherical bushings and it was very loud with lots of clunks over every bump. I ended up switching back to some Steeda ones that had urethane because of the noise.

When I did my rear end and suspension build though, I went with spherical uppers from Baseline and spherical lowers from Wolfe. I think it's a matter of better quality and being new, but I really don't have any clunks at all with this setup. I get some more road noise than with urethane bushings, but that's to be expected. I really have no complaints about them on my car.

16. mayer5oh

yea i had just as much noise with crappy poly bushings than sphericals. we will see come spring when i finally ditch the stock rubber ones still hiding under my car :stupid:

17. stangman9897

Well after reading all of you guys storys i went with the Steeda double adj uppers with poly mounts they have a steel tube that runs through the poly to make it stronger. The lowers i went with the Granatelli weight jackers with poly on the axle end and a bearing on the other end plus i like the adj spring perch if you want to run a taller tire. I think these will be fairly quite and its a street car anyway. If i don't like them i will just try something else. Shoped around and ended up getting all four for $410.90 so i won't loose much if i don't like them, and they have to be better than the stock ones.

control arms 002.jpg #ad

control arms 001.jpg #ad

control arms 003.jpg #ad

18. TurboSN95

I never had any issues with sphericals; buy quality stuff and you shouldn't either.

19. Disney Lincoln

I have spherical on my blower car on all the rears plus the front arms and an ARB. It's loud at times, but only over rough surfaces. TN roads are very very good overall, so it's not a big deal.

20. mayer5oh

wish i could say the same about pa :bang: