1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Hc5a, 1.32AR & s400ish turbo for Detroit 12l. What to do on 2005 & up 4.8 & 5.3 motors I just b??

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by BoostNjuice, Jun 29, 2021.

1. BoostNjuice

hey everyone: hope all is going well with yall. Got a couple questions for yah. Anyways wanna drag only , no street driving... I bought 2 new turbos , 1 is a hc5a & was told is a direct copy of a holset ... other turbo is a s400ish turbo has 1.32 AR , same turbo as a Detroit series 60 turbo for a 12.7L ,Compressor inducer 75, Turbine exducer 88.10, turbine trim 84.7 , turbine wheel outside diameter 96mm. Im waiting to receive turbos still along with the 2005,06,07 ish & up 4.8 & 5.3 ls motors , with vin codes t , v , z , hoping these have the gen4 better bottom end in them . Keeping my fingers crossed for sure, I bought a SS2 cam 585 lift & lifters,rockers with trunnion upgrade for the 4.8 so far & nothing for the 5.3 yet ... I will use the fitech on motors or use the holley terminator , also will use the msd 6014 or such for ignition.. so : I have searched for answers Before but I'm unsure as what to do as it seems sum say do this & others say do that .. u see what turbos are going on these motors , so hoping to get at least around 800 to over 1k to the wheel in small steps for sure .
    1) 4.8 motor has 89k on it & 5.3 has 119k , should I gap the rings on both these motors? If so to what ? 28 top , 30 bottom. ??
    2) the s400ish turbo will probably go on the 4.8 & the hc5a will go on 5.3 . Was thinking keeping all stock bolts & headgaskets on 4.8 with just a cam,valve spring change,leave it all stock as is . . But doing 5.3 to be stout & hold together a lil better . On 5.3 Should I put in ls9 head gaskets & arp main studs & head studs & rod bolts in ? Or just use all stock stuff & send it ?
    3) not sure what heads r coming on these motors , but was thinking about getting the ls3 or mast 295cc heads for the 5.3 with a nasty big hydraulic cam that will go good with engine & car combo . Which is a 3k car, 10pt cage , maybe a 350ish gear in it as I have not tore in to rearend ., trans & converter still need to be thought out & bought still as do not know if glide ,350 or 400 would be best ., but will use tbrake , Will have 1 7/8 hedders for both motors . Will use whatever size waste gates r recommended for both motors . I have the fitech 1200hp kit to use on 1 motor & was gonna get the holley terminator for the other motor or just use the fitech for both when I switch motors in & out whenever that happens.
    4) so on the 5.3 if I replace the headbolts ,rod bolts , main studs should I have it all measured to make sure all is well , or should everything be close enough & send it ?
    5) wanna get super vic for 4.8 & the holley 2 piece intake that is like super vic for 5.3 so I can hog it out later possibly .
    6) was thinking about trying to get comp ratio on 5.3 around 7:5:1 or so & using the stock heads or the mast 295cc heads , & the biggest hydraulic roller she will take & just cram the boost down her after doing cam,rockers springs , , head gaskets , gap rings etc .`& send it Or just build up the bottom end with good forged rods, forged 4.00 or 4.125 " crank & sum forged pistons with a big ole hydraulic cam .. .
    7) to many decisions to think about & not know what to do is the hardest part of all this , if had alot of $$$ wouldn't matter that much I guess , but thats not my case here at all . Soooo what should I do with the 4.8 & the 5.3 ?????? Basically doing 2 jy sbe motors , with 1 having better parts in it possibly to take more boost .
    Any & all help or advice is wanted ..
    How about the 5.3 bore with a 3" stroke ?? Decisions. Decisions.. lol

Tags:
bridal-shoal