1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

spark table starting point

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by 1BadV6ThirdGen, Mar 19, 2009.

1. 1BadV6ThirdGen

hows this look
    [​IMG]#ad

i will get rid of the 500/700 rpm colums since my car idles at 900-1100 rpms and i will use the 2 extra spots i free up to extend my rpm section to 7,800 rpms

does that table look liek a good starting point for my 3.1 v6 with 10 psi from a 60-1 turbo on 93 pump gas??
    and if so how much more boost do u think i could get out of that table before i had to back it down a lil bit

thnx

2. 1BadV6ThirdGen

i just started from scratch since i know i only want 14/15* at max boost without the methanol injection

this is what i come up with, i know my boost section should be good.but how does the n/a - non boost section look? 20kpa -100kpa

[​IMG]#ad

3. 1BadV6ThirdGen

anyone??? im heading over to work on my car in a lil bit

4. blacksaleen95

Looks alright to me. I usually run a little closer to 35* in my light throttle cruise area (high vac, mid-high rpm) but it will def vary with every combo. I'd say your map is in the ballpark.

Give this spreadsheet a try... It was posted on here before and I've found it very helpful in setting up base spark maps. It allows you to input your base timing and then have the vac and mech advance added in to create your map. Works pretty nice imo.

http://home.comcast.net/~Jimragtop2/tbi/spark.xls

5. 1BadV6ThirdGen

thnx man i just wanted to be sure i wasnt gonna be replacing a head gasket right away lol,not looking for max power just something to get me down the race track tommorow safely. im gonna back off from 15* at 21 psi to 14* just for now
    and at 18 psi im gonna back off from 16* to 15* in the 6,300 to redline range

6. blacksaleen95

idk man you're pretty safe as is in boost imo.

fwiw we're running 18-20* @ 16psi on 93 octane with my buddies series II 3800 with a t70 and iron heads, however his inlet temps are in the 80's under boost...

IMO I think the 2nd map looks better, the first one has too big a drop off from 100kpa to 125kpa.. You want a smooth transition. If you want to run around 16* in peak tq, similar to what you have in the first map...then just make the transition more gradual instead of 24* to 16...

7. BottleFed70

Both of those tables look like crap. Sorry ;)

1st off, I'll admit that i don't know your engine very well, but I'm assuming it likes similar timing to a typical SBF/SBC. So please forgive me if I'm wrong about that.

I'd start with your 100KPA line. What timing would you normally use at WOT if this engine wasn't boosted? A typical v8 would use somewhere around 36* timing by 4000rpm. Those tables show 24 and 26* which seems way too low to me.

Next let's look at the difference between your 150KPA to 250KPA lines. 1st table there is a difference of 1.5* You think that when going from 6PSI to 20PSI you only need to pull 1.5* of timing? 2nd table shows only pulling 3*.

8. 1BadV6ThirdGen

i referenced my stock ecms timing table to do most of it, my car spends 95% of its running time under boost, so im not all to concerned with the non boost areas just yet,
    the anything over 15 psi with have meth injection so ill actually end up adding additional timing in those boost ranges.
    i also went real conservative on the ign map cause im redoing my fuel map from scratch at the same time, once i know my afrs are god then ill go back and play witht etiming sme more,and then back to my ve maps