1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Initial timing question for 5.0

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by danval, May 28, 2015.

1. danval

Whats up you guys. I try not to ask so many questions and research as much as I can but this I need to be sure. I read some other builds but its not identical to what im running so I want to be sure.
    Im trying to get my initial timing going and see what you guys think.
    The setup: 1988 5.0 stock EEC
    MSD BTM
    Stock heads
    Stock distributor
    MSD Blaster SS coil
    Max boost 10psi
    42# injectors
    300 lph bosch fuel pump.
    Water to air intercooler.
    Am I missing something? thanks in advance

2. Disney Lincoln

Start by setting the timing to stock 10* and use the BTM to pull out 1* per # That would make it 16* total. The EEC adds 16* at WOT.

Base 10* + EEC 16* - BTM 10* (@10#) = 16* total under boost.

Once you know it's safe by reading plugs and listening carefully, then you can start bringing in more initial and backing off the BTM.

FWIW my stock headed twin turbo combo did best with really low timing. I think around 10* total is where I got the best mph.

3. Matt Cramer

What are you using to tune the ECU?

4. danval

This is gold. Thanks a lot!!

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing. Just the med btm and a 1:1 boost fpr

5. 95MustangGT331

Get a quarterhorse. Timing will be at least 16 with 10psi. I ran a safe 17 @ 14.6psi

6. danval

Ive been reading a little about chip options and ignition modules, came across this quarterhorse but I don't know too much about it.

7. 95MustangGT331

Datalog, program, and tune switch for launch control all with factory pcm. Log afr via wideband and egr connector.
    Moates just released bluetooth option and android app for datalogging.

8. danval

Thats a lot of cool stuff!