1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Spark plug pics

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by turbotater, Sep 15, 2015.

1. turbotater

combo= 355 sbc , flat top piston , vortec heads , dual plane intake , 4777 650 holley .073 pvrc - 74 /80 jetting - blocked hsab , small reverse cam , 58mm t3/t4 turbos . 8-9 lbs boost . 120 mph @3600 race weight . 91 octane pump .msd 6530 . 23 degrees timing . 11.3 afr thru the lights

2 different cylinders . only 1 cylinder had much of a heat line on the strap . #7 has 2 aluminum balls from detonation and some grey ash.
    no other issues on other plugs. took out a head gasket on #6 . thoughts ??

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. flyinhillbilly

Sometimes I'll cut them and look for the heat mark on the bottom of the strap. When did you move to Oklahoma?

3. turbotater

moved in 2009.
    here is pic of combo.

[​IMG]#ad

4. flyinhillbilly

Damn, I knew I hadn't seen you around, but didn't think much about it.

Car looks good. Do you think it's hurt?

5. Cpt. Slow

First and third pic look a little light. Same side as #7?

6. turbotater

how is your project coming?

7. turbotater

the spark plugs in the pics are from #7 (2nd pic )
    the other is #4

- - - Updated - - -

i think a set of gaskets and it will be fine . just trying to prevent a repeat.

8. Cpt. Slow

So opposite sides?

9. flyinhillbilly

Slowly, I keep getting distracted.

10. ss496

10:1 (flat tops with 64 cc vortec chambers), pump gas...pulling about 1*/psi (since vortecs usually like low 30's for NA timing) at 9 psi...seems a bit aggressive particularly with possible distribution issues from a dual plane manifold.....just my thoughts and what jumped out at me.

11. turbotater

#6 has zero signs of detonation . it is just a clean plug due to liquid in the combustion process.
    heat line on strap almost invisible. i will pull a couple more degrees until i get a handle on what ever the issue is.
    debating if the overly rich mixture is playing into it.

12. turbotater

i forgot to mention i was using autolite 605 spark plugs.
    i am also thinking i might need a colder plug

13. M&M Turbochargers

for a starting point we usually start at 2 heat ranges colder than stock and go from there

14. turbotater

i think i will try a autolite ar103 plug this next time.
    i have the same combo with a dished piston same heads on more boost with no problems.

15. 70 5.0Merc

#6 and #7 went lean? Looks like both head gaskets could have blown,#6 side just went 1st. My guess would be the dual plane intake is causing uneven fuel distribution to each cylinder. I went to a single plane on my car for this very reason. Is there an intercooler? May look at backing off the timing until it is figured out.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  16. turbotater

i do not believe #6 went lean. because the coloring on #7 is different than all
    other cylinders there is a possibility it is leaner than the rest .

it will take me a while to get the car back up and running again as i am working
    on the turbo wagon first.