1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

SBF with programmable ignition

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by blue-boost, Jun 23, 2018.

1. blue-boost

Just seeing if anyone else is running an MSD 6530 ignition on their turbo SBF. I'm completely new to the MSD software. I just want a timing curve, boost retard, start retard, tips or tricks, ect....to start by, then dial it in to my combo. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. ttpinto

I ran locked timing at 28 and pulled one degree per psi to start nice and soft. Then tune from there. Might even start softer with your base timing to dial in your afr if you don't know where your at.

I ran no start retard with it locked at 32.

3. blue-boost

Ok just got the software downloaded. Does my laptop need to be hooked up to the MSD box to make changes? Seems like incomplete software. I'm used to Tweecer RT, I could build tunes in my house then go to the car and load them.

4. blue-boost

I'm making a boost curve on the MSD 6530, I plan on pulling 1° per 1psi, and not pull any timing until 3psi. Do I go ahead at pull 3° at the 3psi, or pull only 1° and curve it back to a 1:1 ratio by 5psi?

5. ttpinto

Id start one to one and see what the car likes and plugs look like. Timing will kill it quick.

6. blue-boost

Thanks that's what I have programed 1:1 right now. I'm changing my thermostat tonight to try to get this engine to build some heat, then try to go make a good pull. I did a 5mi cruise and it didn't get above 120°

7. blue-boost

Also, I want to verify that my distributor is still locked at 32° how do I do this with the timing curves already programed? Timing is full advance at 2,000rpm, can I put a light on it, rev it to 2,000+rpm, and see what it's at?

8. Disney Lincoln

9. blue-boost

I just zeroed out the run retard curve and checked it, good thing I did, it was at off a bit. I also used a small bicycle tire pump to blow in the map sensor to verify that the MSD box was pulling the desired timing.

tbird likes this.
  10. blue-boost

How fast should I ramp up my timing? It's retarded a fair amount at 1,000rpms, ramps up to 32° by 3,000rpm. Should I bring in advance faster?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  11. tbird

what fuel?
    Lock it at 34
    If it idles at say 800 I would have a start retard down to 20 deg. Anything over 500-600 rpm is 34.
    Then pull it down to 29ish at 5 psi. After that I cant offer anything without knowing what fuel and if its intercooled or not.

12. blue-boost

E85, non intercooled, blowthrough.

13. tbird

1:1 after 3-5 psi would be fine to start.

14. blue-boost

Thanks, I do have my boost curve setup for a 1:1 from 3psia on up.

15. tbird

Hold on !!!!
    You do realize that 3 psia is not 3 lbs of boost. People get this wrong so often on these boxes. psia is absolute pressure. 14.5 psia is zero vacuum. So 3 psi of boost is 17.5 psia. If you chart stops at 14.5 psia you either dont have it configured for more than 1 bar or you only have a 1 bar map sensor which doesnt read boost.

16. tbird

look at map advance curve

turotiming-1.jpg #ad

17. blue-boost

I'm not sure I fully understand the advanced map curve. Left of the red line is vaccume, right is boost. I haven't played with the MSD 6530 enough, what's the advanced map curve?

18. blue-boost

Man for some reason my screen hasn't been showing these update, anyways yes I know that PSI and psia are different, my auto correct does funny things. My first plotted dot on boost map is at 17psia.

Does this file look decent? Changes?

1534562095888.jpg #ad

19. tbird

IMO yes

20. blue-boost

Car runs a ton better with that curve. It still needs adjusted around idle, wants to pull timing then die. Also fighting what I believe is spark blow out around 5-6psi.