1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

GT500 lower or Cobra R

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by JSTFORFN, Apr 19, 2014.

1. JSTFORFN

The current setup in my car is a 5.4 , GT500 heads, 10.1 comp. , with comp 262 cams degree'd to certain lc's. I'm using a Cobra R lower with a custom upper I made. The car has a 4R70 with 3600 stall and twin 6262's adding the extra atmosphere. Driving around I noticed my IAT's pretty far apart. IAT1 in the MAF (blowthru) showing 80 which was just above ambient, and IAT2 which is in the intake showing 120. The MAF is about 14 inches away from the intake and about 20 inches away from IAT2. It seems there is a lot of heat buildup in the intake and I'll be fighting air temps right off the bat. Right now I have an air to air setup which seems to be doing fine looking at the IAT in the MAF.

My question is would it be of benefit to remove the air to air setup and Cobra R intake in favor of a GT500 intake with the air to water intercooler? Since the actual intercooler is closer to the combustion process I figure my temps would be a lot lower. However I would be giving up runner length and midrange torque. I should note there will be a alkycontrol kit installed when it's done. Any thoughts on this? I notice most GT500's just stick with the stock intake but I'm sure a lot of that is because of ease of installation.

Thanks Mike

2. Gen1SVE

I am guessing the Iat you shared above are under cruse? If so what are they doing during a pull? IAT of 120 during cruse conditions is reasonable if they drop as soon as the pull starts.

3. JSTFORFN

Yes it's under cruise. After I asked this I started searching the net for GT500 IAT temps and they report the same. However the compressor (supercharger) is between the two IAT's. I was surprised to see the intercooler not removing heat under cruise. I guess I should stick with what I have and allow the meth to help the temps in the intake.

No WOT pulls yet as it's a fresh combo. I'm trying to get everything sorted out right this second. This was something I saw when datalogging. I thought the temps would be closer together.
    Thanks Mike

4. Gen1SVE

Cruse IAT's are determined from the amount of heat in the intake, engine bay heat and engine cooling water are the two largest contributors.