1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

buying a used cobra cank

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by culookn, Sep 29, 2009.

1. culookn

ive been looking for a used cobra crank for my modular motor build up and i came across this one. the owner claims he had a rod break on the one cyclinder causing it to score the crank. might be hard to tell in the pic but do you think it able to be machined or is it a boat anchor at this point.

usedcrank.jpg #ad

2. stangman9897

There is a 90% chance it has a cracked journal. I bought two with a lot less damage than that one and when they maged it it was cracked.

IMG_0242.JPG #ad

3. 99TTGT

I don't think that crank can be turn.

4. stangman9897

Went down that road, now i have two boat anchor's by the time you buy a used one then have it machined and polished you could just get one from MMR and be safe and know its right.

5. converturbo

boat anchor! You have to realize that most of the time you turn a crank and it gets turned .010. I understand that if you dont deal with measurments alot that you may not know how little that is. But just put it this way, a piece of paper is roughly .004 thick so that is what is taken off of each side of the crank when it is turned. So I would do like MMR said and just buy one form them or see if you can find another used one that is in better shape.

6. jmstekguy

looks like that one journal is offset ground lol, maybe its a 4.7 dohc??? :D...but seriously buy a new crank

7. RoadconeTuning

not to hijack but do TM.com/TTF.com members get a hookup on packages like the MMR800 :chacha:

8. culookn

i told the guy i had to pass it up. i wasnt about to spend 100 bucks and have it be junk. thanks for all of the help guys. its why i come here to get info/advice instead of other sites where people just tell you that you dont know anything or should go some article with useless information

9. culookn

plus 500 bucks for a new one isnt a bad price. mmr, whats a set of manley h beams go for for the 4.6(stock length)

10. 99TTGT