1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

true roller timing chains vs standard

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by TT383TPI, Mar 13, 2016.

1. TT383TPI

im building a 383 stroker with 2 T3/T4 hybrid turbos im still paying off the parts for the engine my engine biulder wants to put a standard double timing chain in it he said that going roller would cost more but it woud lnot be money well spent. he said that a ture double roller can streach i just wanted a second opion my goals are 850 fwhp the cam is 226/220 dur 575 lift 114 LSA hydralic roller i will be using a msd crack triger. thanks

2. flyinhillbilly

I'm inclined to agree with your engine builder. Link plate chains have more plates per link, and are less prone to stretch IMO. That's all I run btw.

3. Disney Lincoln

I'd disagree and say the Link plate or MORE prone to stretch than a double roller. Just from a SBF perspective, you can easily see it by opening up an older link plate motor vs a newer roller motor.

I'd love to hear more opinions on this. To be honest, i've never considered NOT using a roller chain unless going to a belt.

4. Matt Cramer

They both stretch, however, the way an inverted tooth chain stretches makes for a bit more backlash given the way a cam load is more back and forth than in one direction.

The links themselves aren't what stretches - the "stretch" is really the pin joints wearing out, causing the chain to expand.

Also worth noting - with a crank fired ignition, you may lose a bit of cam drive accuracy, but you don't have the timing scatter problems if the chain stretches.

5. flyinhillbilly

This is exactly why I swear by link plate chains. More surface area on the pin equals slower wear IMO. I recently got into a 347 with a double roller and 8k miles. It was already to the point that I thought it should be replaced.

6. Mnlx

What Hillbilly says makes sense, but I have to agree that i've seen, and thought the same as what Disney posted. Why are all the hp chains rollers? there must be a reason. Whatever you use, make sure its a quality chain.... I have a buddy who had a bbc built with a mild solid roller, and the builder used a cheapo double roller, it didn't make the season, and cost him plenty when it broke.