1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Need aftermarket ignition advice

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Dsrtjeeper, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Dsrtjeeper

It appears that I've reached the limit of the stock TFI ignition on my '94 Mustang GT.
    There seems to be a lot of MSD hate out there.
    I could sure use some advice.
    Thanks!

2. silver82GT

I run an MSD 6530. It works fine, no issues. I have friends who run the MSD 7 series as well but the price is crazy.

3. Dsrtjeeper

Where did you mount the box? I'm in Phoenix and I'm thinking the engine bay will be a bad idea.

4. Dsrtjeeper

Also; I don't need a lot of features as the Megasquirt has it all.

5. silver82GT

I put it in the engine compartment but I live in the frozen North so high temps aren't much of an issue here. I have seen them mounted under the passenger seat and they do come with a fairly long wiring harness.

Dsrtjeeper likes this.
  6. Disney Lincoln

Pretty much any of the boxes will work for your combo. You just need a system to juice up your spark, be it MSD, Summit, whatever. Really like Crane, but I think they went tits up. I actually have a 6AL here that came off a Foxbody that i'd sell cheap(er than new).

7. Dsrtjeeper

I did a voltage drop test today and it appears that there's a 2v drop at the coil. I'll be checking wiring tomorrow. I'll keep that 6AL in mind. Thanks!

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  8. vht

I've seen a lot of bad 6AL boxes, the newer ones, a lot of people I know are buying up the older boxes when they can find them.

9. Dsrtjeeper

I have a 6AL coming thanks to Disney Lincoln. It might be an older unit. I didn't ask him.

10. Disney Lincoln

No problem. Should fix the spark blowout. It's an older unit, guessing around 2005 timeframe.

Dsrtjeeper likes this.