1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Sonoma refuses to set level.....

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by patl, Jun 28, 2013.

1. patl

This was an mild ex bracket truck (11.00s) that I bought. I used it to build a street truck, cut the cage out etc.
    It has a panhard bar, 4-link and single adj. koni's. The pass. side rear was an 1"1/4 high at the wheel well lip.
    Well after adj. the coils, swapping the shocks around, disassembling shocks and measuring all the locating points I
    couldn't find anything wrong. Even with the driver side coil adjusted up tight and the pass. side all the way loose the pass.
    side was still 1'' high.:apologetic:
    I hope the frame isn't tweaked. Also when I jacked the truck up I found out I had to be 8'' off center of the bumper
    to get it to jack up level. It was like if it had a lot of weight bias on the drivers side (side that sits lower). Could that be the effect
    of the panhard bar, or something binding in the suspension?
    Would like to put some power to this thing, but not if it all jacked up.:ambivalence:

2. jridenour31

Are the four-link brackets even? Control arms in the same holes side to side? If the mounting points are the same and the coilovers are the same length and there's still a 1 1/4" difference side to side, there's something wrong. Are you sure there's not a broken body mount on one corner causing it to hang lower? Measure from the ground to the top of the fender arch for a start.

3. patl

Found nothing off on the mounting points.
    A friend said it could be too much preload on one of the upper bars.

4. Drac0nic

What are the chances it was something that was done to compensate at launch? The fact it's the rear passenger corner is why I'm asking.

5. jridenour31

I had that thought, also, but it would have probably been done with the coilover and 100% unnecessary with a backhalved vehicle and anti-roll bar.

6. jridenour31

This is possible but the uppers would have to be noticeably different lengths. Have you measured the control arms?

If I was you, I would pull everything off and start from scratch, that way you know exactly what's going on. It's not a bad idea anyway. You never know how the original owner may have screwed with the control arm lengths or preload or whatever else.

7. patl

I agree. It needs to come apart.
    Checked the upper right bar (real tight) 2 full turns to get the tension off. That lowered it another 1/2''.
    The few times I ran it, it did pull left. Thought it might had been tire pressure.

8. jridenour31

Oh wow. There you go, now you're heading in the right direction. Does the truck have an anti-roll bar on it? I can't imagine why someone would use the control arms to preload the suspension to help with launching straight when it can be done by putting preload on the anti-roll bar and not putting the suspension in a bind.

9. patl

No roll bar. Thinking about getting rid of the panhard bar also, maybe add a wishbone.

10. Sy-Clone

Don't know if this has been considered, But having the gas tank on the driver's side, causes the truck to lean toward that side more. This is my experience with my 98 Sonoma ext. cab.:confused:

11. patl

No factory tank, the battery also sets on the high side too.
    No time to work on it since I've been chasing down ignition problems. Turned out I had a bad 6530 box....now I no why the performance fell of the face of the earth.