1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

hat clocking w/ev hat

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by jim wingo, May 23, 2008.

1. jim wingo

after reading some of the stuff recently about a/f dist., i wonder if i should reclock my hat-i have used csu hats in diff clockings, all seemed to work pretty well
    on my recent project, i needed a hat like the ev with the inlet tilted a little to fit under the hood-i had to trim some of the divider out to clear the squirters in the 9 o clock position(pointing to the pass side) i have noticed cyls 1 & 8 seem a little leaner, from plug ck'n, than the others, but still ok-i suspect more from the intake design than hat, but who knows
    i have done some clay mock up, and might be able to clock it at 6 o clock, but i think it hits the float bowl, but a small spacer might make it fit-some questions about the ev hat, not to bash, but if the tilt hits in the 6 o clock position, and 3 or 9 o clock hits vents/squirters, what was the intented position when this thing was designed-i think they actually have one w/o the divider-in the 9 o clock position, i wonder if the vent tubes, with the divider right above them, arnt getting the sig they need!!!!

2. Robert1320

At 3 & 9 the divided hat will need a little mods to clear vents.
    At 12 & 6 the EV spacer is needed to clear the float screws.

O-ring spacer are about $42.00.

3. Blown440sst

The elbow you have in front of the hat is not good. You need 8-10" of straight pipe prior to the hat. The turbulance coming off the 90* is going right into the hat. I think all of this distribution talk has gone way too far. Gordon

4. wgsr-1

I thought the same thing about the divider cutting off the signal to the vent tubes with my hat clocked at 3. But, when I was grinding to clear the tubes, I just cut a little higher above them, and knife edged the divider above the vents. Seems to work awsome. Steve

5. jim wingo

found some left over pipe in the garage, so i tried diff clocking that would also clear the hood, i can clock it about 7 o clock, clear the hood and have a pretty straight shot to the hat
    first pic is ex., 2nd pic is what i mocked up

IM001095.JPG #ad

IM001098.JPG #ad

6. Boost Engineer

Looks good.

A Hat with no divider and that long straight section of pipe should be very happy.

Tom V.