1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

***nitrous guys***

Discussion in 'Nitrous, E85, Methanol and Water Injection' started by mayer5oh, Aug 29, 2005.

1. mayer5oh

right now i have autolite ap25 plugs in my car gapped to .055... they were gapped to .040 and i melted the tip off one in the #5 cylinder with a 125shot... this was with 7* base timing (check sig for rest of info)

i plan to get new plugs... ive heard ngk r 4554, any other suggestions? also, about what should i gap them to?

**oh yea, i have an msd billet pro dist., 6al box and a blaster tfi coil for my ignition set up and run it on 93 octane all the time.
    when i dont use nitrous, i set timing at 13* base, then put the spout back in...

2. spankustang

gap them to .035
    run the motorcraft asf32c (i think that's it)

3. Disney Lincoln

ANd get your tune right.

4. mayer5oh

what should i do about the tune, the only thing i was told was set the timing back 2-2.5* for every 50hp of nitrous used. disney, i think you should be able to help me out with this.

... i wanna step it up to a 150 shot, so where abouts should i have timing...

5. Disney Lincoln

With a stock motor i'd run 6-8* initil timing and as much octane as I could get. If yo ucan get some 110, the put the timing abck up to 8-10*.

I run 6* with a 275 shot. but with alum. heads and race gas...

6. Robert1320

:withstu: .035, I had to drop to .028 even with MSD.

7. WaterPog

A local nitrous junky once told me that if you're melting the strap it's likely from too much timing, and if you're melting the center electrode it's too lean.

He also mentioned that the NGK V-groove plugs have a small burr on the center electrode from when they cut the groove that will melt off if it's too lean If you look at a plug under magnification you can see it.

8. Robert1320

Took it for granted, READ the plugs. It's the best way to see whats going on inside before the parts come outside.:D

9. mayer5oh

yea, all the plugs but 3 were pretty good. the gaps were a bit large, and there were two that you could tell had low compression and the one with the burned tip. in a week and a half im going to island to do some testing, we will see how this all works out

10. Jeff88coupe

Get rid of those platinum plugs...they are probably most of your problem. Get a set of regular autolight 24's...gap them at .035. Back the timing down 2 degrees for every 50hp worth of nitrous your running from where you run it when you RACE n/a. You should be fine on pump 93 up to a 150 shot..but a gallon or 2 of race gas is cheap insurance.

11. mayer5oh

alright, i usually run around 13 or 14*

anybody have an autolite part number for say... 1 step colder

12. ChrisA351

I dont have autolite but I was told a stock heat range on an AC is 45...I used a R43TS on a 150 shot at 30 total timing on pump gas for a long time.

I used to run 36 total on nuts but I dropped to 30 just to be conservative cause of the pump gas.

I melted a couple electrodes and then went richer on the fuel side.

Can ran great...

13. mayer5oh

when you say 30* total, you mean you had the spout out? or you ran 14* then put the spout in? seems like a lot...

14. mayer5oh

ttt ----^^

15. realstreet

agreed, the autolite 24's are one step colder of a plug, take 88 coupes advice and you should be fine

16. mayer5oh

i put in a set of autolite 24s, had some problems with my full throttle switch, i think i got it striaghted out now but now the fuckin spraybar i got from nitrous works stripped on the fuel side. fuckers. i would have blown my shit up had i not noticed the freakin line hangin off

17. turbofreek

i ran a 150 shot on mine for over a year with stock timing. i don't see that being the problem. but i also ran 175 fuel jet in it. un hook your nitrous cylinoid(electrical conection)and put in the fuel jet for a 100 shot. take it for a spin and see if your car runs better on just the additional fuel from it. if so find out were it starts to fall off with additional fuel jet changes( 125, 150, ect...)? this will tell you if your pumps worth a damn while nitrous is engaged without using nitrous. also tell you if its running lean even before the spray. i had this problem on mine even with a 225lt pump. so i used a step richer fuel jet to counter the lean condition i had. you may also have to step down on the fuel jetting to see where it wakes up if it bogs (like it should) from rich condition. mine ran better with a 50 shot of fuel(no nitrous mind you). this will give you the difference of additional fuel need during nitrous use. its atleast a safe and free way to test your fuel systems capability to even use a lot of n2o. i never had a headgasket problem till i went for the 200 shot with less then a 1/4 tank of gas:rolleyes: not real smart on my behalf.

all the above test should be done while driven not sitting still.
    also mine was a single fogger nozzle before the throttle.

18. 90notchlx

What he said. But gap them to .030. Anything over a 150 shot, run good fuel.