1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Highway truck turbo on a small block

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by Vagitarian86, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Vagitarian86

ok title says it all been searching searching and searching heres the scoop

we are gonna try this regardless just wanna know if anyones tried it before us i keep hearing stories of i knew a guy or some such about putting a turbo off a big truck or piece of equipment on a small block with mixed results yes im sure it wont be the most efficent set up but is it even possible on a 350 383 or 454 big block and reasons why or why not any opinions or information or welcome just a discussion not trying to start any fights lol

2. flyinhillbilly

FYI, the S series turbos from Borg Warner are aftermarket replacements for big trucks. They're one of the most popular turbos on the board too. I've personally had great results with them on small blocks from 350 stockers to fully built 406.

3. flyinhillbilly

And howdy neighbor, I race at rogersville an live in Berryville AR.

4. Vagitarian86

hey thanks for the info i was also looking at holset h55 from a cummins isx theres a junkyard for big trucks here and turbos are pretty dang cheap

5. Vagitarian86

i love berryville have you been to the new gunrange down there i hear they offer 600 yard shooting benches that would be sweet and rogersville strip is four miles from me i work at undercover right next to sportsland pick up covers

6. flyinhillbilly

I haven't been there, we usually shoot on private property, I know where you're talking about though. I know right where undercover is, I usually turn right beside it when I'm going to the track since I like to take the back way through ozark. We'll have to hang out sometime at the track. Always nice to meet another gear head.

As far as big truck salvage goes, I have no idea. I used to by my turbo'd from Dave@majestic (that's been a minute) and the S475 is only about $700

7. Vagitarian86

I've been looking at a holset h55 it's like 80 bucks

8. alain

I run a Holset HX50 on a 360ci Mopar in my W200. Motor is basically stock. I have a cam and Total Seal rings in it, that's all. I ran on a completely stock 318ci for about 5 years without an issue too. I run 10psi, but have pushed the 318ci to 15psi. Runs on propane.

Roman Cuda likes this.
  9. Vagitarian86

Dang what kind of power are you getting and what are you doing for fuel carb or efi?

10. alain

Truck hasn't been on a dyno, but the seat dyno feels pretty good. I run her on propane and use an Impco 425 carb with two Impco regs that are boost referenced.

11. 64nailhead

That sounds pretty dang interesting. Any pics?

12. alain

I'm at work at the moment and don't have any within reach. It's nothing fancy and is actually pretty ugly to see, haha. Was a quick and dirty job because this truck was being driven all year and making it nice and shiny was just a waste of time.

13. Vagitarian86

How do you like those impcos I've got two hyster 80 lift trucks here at the shop with vortec 4.3 engined both running and I have to tune them all the dang time

14. alain

I never touch mine. I found an old pic from when I still had the Impco 300 mixers that I used draw-through. Since taking the gas carb off and replacing it with the Impco 425, I have never been so happy with the way it drives. Starts real easy and like I siad, I don't need to touch it.

[​IMG]#ad
    "]https://www.theturboforums.com/images/imported/2007/12/DSC04278-1.jpg[/URL]

15. alain

A lot has changed since this picture, but the turbo is still in the same spot. The downpipe is better now and the filters with the 300 mixers in the passenger front corner are gone. I have a cone filter on the turbo's compressor now.

16. silverback

the HX55 likely has a 67mm inducer and should be quite a decent match for a mild small block.

17. jemachine

Yes, a cheap used diesel turbo will work. I threw a hx 40 from an 8 liter cummins on a stock small block and had a lot of fun with it. Later put vortec heads on it and made some 11 sec passes easily. Go out and build it and have some fun. This site has every bit of info you need

turbo pix nov 013.jpg #ad

18. David Herbertsson

I have a Hx55 on a 305 with ported heads and a Summit 1105 cam. Holley 650 blow-thru. Works good, makes boost somewhere around 2500 rpm.

/David

19. Vagitarian86

Awesome thanks guys glad to hear this has been done before

20. Vagitarian86

another question how much different would it be to use the same h55 turbo on a mid level 454