1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Some diy surgery, lol

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by ronlp, Apr 3, 2011.

1. ronlp

So I was moving some stuff from my old house today when I violently stabbed myself in the foot with a palm frond needle from a trimming that I had left laying on the side of the house. The initial pain wasn't too terrible until I realized that the fucking dagger broke off inside a layer of my shoe, effectively pinning it on.Any attempt at manipulation resulted in retarded shockwaves of horror. All alone and left to my own devices, I hopped to my work truck, retrieved my trusty Kleins, got down on the driveway and got to work. It went in on the side near the instep, and down so low I couldn't even detect the angle. Shoving the dykes down there created disturbances I never want to duplicate. After a few missed attempts, the jaws closed around their target and with one last wince of pain, it was severed, resulting in a minor relief, and removal of said shoe. I gotta admit, my first impression of the stump was a little nauseating, just knowing the taper of these things gave me a rough idea of how much went in, and I was kinda puzzled as to where it all went.

[​IMG]#ad

Couldn't budge it by hand as it was solidly implanted in the meat and there was barely 5mm to grab past the surface. I considered hopping back to the truck for a needle nose, but figured I'd give the dykes a try since they'd done so well on the first part....just had to be careful not to cut the bitch off flush or I'd end up in the ER for sure, lmao. At first there was surprising resistance, but then it gave way with a little tug and popped out of the hole with ease. Fortunately it had gone straight in so I didn't have to experiment to find the right angle....a procedure that is always painful with a splinter.

Well anyway, here is what I retrieved. Notice the split end where I suppose it ran into a bone.

[​IMG]#ad

Looks to be about 45mm of penetration. The wound is now tiny, albeit a bit swollen, but it hurts like a sumbitch deep inside. Not a comfortable place to ice either. Boo.

[​IMG]#ad

Oh well, saved a co-pay, lmao.

2. jridenour31

Holy shit! When I saw the pic with it still in your foot it just looked like it kinda sucked but the whole thing is crazy, way deeper than I expected.

3. Mr. Dew

I did the same thing when I was about 13 or 14. Mine involved a long thorn bush, a creek, and a rope swing. I looked at it for a minute (since I was barefoot) and just pulled it right out. Came out clean and healed up nicely.

But in your case..... I hope there isn't left in there. Its all fun and games until they have to cut your infected foot off.

4. Kellyo77

I started to question your level of womaness (that's a word, I don't give a shit what spell check says) until I scrolled down a little more. My level of womaness would have gone up considerably in that situation.

Peroxide treatment or anything?

5. wantabe

lucky ur a turbo guy...
    supercharger guy would have cried...
    ;)

6. ronlp

Threw a little Neosporin on the hole when I got home a few hours later and ate a bunch of anti-flams.

Palm trees are evil.

There was some loud cursing. Does that count?

7. RI85GT

Those fucking palms. Goddamn man, that's a good one :eek:

8. PrecisionTurboMustang

After dealing with my brother cutting a part of his finger off I learned that anytime something gets close to a bone antibiotics are in order.

This also reminded me to update my horse thread with pics :2thumbs:

9. 10secgoal

Damn, the mindset still to take GOOD clear pics. A man's man lol. :2thumbs:

10. ronlp

As an apple fanboy since the 90s, I feel it's only right to integrate the iPhone into every part of my life, for better or worse.

11. wantabe

yer...

12. stangman9897

Same thing i was going to say , just happened to have his Iphone handy. I always have mine but never think of taking a pic untill it over. :doh:

13. turbotater84

Just put some Robitussin on it.

14. 502efi

:doh: Hey Ron, Been there with the same carnage here in FL so I hope you're feeling better.

I have to tell you that the description of this unfortunate event is priceless! You have missed your calling for magazine, newspaper or novels for that matter. I enjoy reading every time (even though I'm MIA on TM lately) bro!!! Hope all is well with you guys out there.

15. goatnipples2002

LMAO!

16. Hemann

Had the tip of one of these in my foot when I was young. All I remember is the hack doctor digging at my foot couldn't get it out. My mom put salve on the bandage and a few days later it came out. Those same things sure flattened a lot of motorcycle tires.

thorns-honeylocust.jpg #ad

17. Disney Lincoln

^^^^^^^^^

I stepped on a downed Sweet Locust tree when i was about 10 and it a needle went through my shoe, foot, and out the top. I knew I had screwed up, but it really didn't "hurt" I just remember carefull pulling my foot up and the needle came right back out and I went on my merry way. Those fuckers are wicked!!!

18. EvilSports

I was sheeting a friends shop with some buddies and one of them figured it would be terribly funny to tap my foot with his nail gun while we were on the roof.

Apparently in his zeal for humor, he neglected to quit squeezing the trigger.

Popped a nail straight through my boot, my big toe nail, and out the bottom.

It didn't hurt at all right away and I knew that there was only one way I was getting it out.

I took my claw hammer and hooked onto the nail. (I had to depress my boot because the nail was shot right in flush with the top of my boot.

I looked at my comedian buddy and said "Don't fucking look at me" Lol. Not sure why, but he turned away like a scared deer.

I pulled the nail out painfully slow. The worst part was feeling every "fish hook barb" from the spooling wire on the roll of nails pulling through my toe.

19. Drac0nic

Should have put some gun powder on it and lit it to cauterize it. Bet that would have REALLY gotten him going

20. EvilSports

This is my favorite part Ron. Picturing the minute or so hiatus for Appley posterity, between injury and remedy.