1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Modified 36lb injectors..

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by PEARL MUSSIN, Jan 2, 2004.

1. PEARL MUSSIN

Do you guys know what these injectors are (brand?) I bought them cheap, they are 36lbers modified to flow 77lb.. Where could I send these to get them flowed so I can get a meter correctly calibrated?? THANKS

2. stanggod

They look like my motorsport injectors.

3. Bellman Jeff

At one time I was going to have some 36 pounders modified by JMS.. They told me "specifically" to only send them Motorsport black bottom, 36 lb injectors..

They said that the silver bottom ones don't deliver as uniformed a flow pattern as the black ones, when modified..

Check with them for the full details..

4. LRD VDR

Sir, with all do RESPECT...I wouldn't buy ANY injector modified to flow more than original output.

Shahram

5. Alex332

:withstu:

i've heard that these modified injectors flow erraticly (sp.?)

but i hope they work great for you

6. PEARL MUSSIN

I'm not too worried about it...... I know of SEVERAL guy running modded 36ers(77lb) and are making 700hp @ the motor. They should work fine with what i'm doing... At least I hope so.. That is kind of why I wanted to get them flowed, to see how close they are to each other. All you are really doing to these is taking out the disc so the fuel flows about double.. I agree the spray pattern won't be near as good but it will dump a shit load of fuel. I also know it probably won't idle like a stocker but I can deal with that ;)

Jeremy

7. DynoDan

I used gutted 30# FMS injectors (flowed 47#'s) for 5+ years on 2 different projects without an issue. I'm now considering the same thing as you on my new project. I don't like, or want to pay for, the low impedance injector drivers on the market. Modifying the A9L seems almost impossible these days, so there really aren't too many choices. I heard that somebody is making a high imp. inj. that flows more that 55#'s these days??

8. PEARL MUSSIN

I heard they were comming out with 65's or something like that, but get your wallet out ($500+)

Jeremy

9. Mean92LX

Send them to Ken Lanham, he flow tested my old modded 24#'s that were supposed to be running 38# and ended up being 42#'s.

10. PEARL MUSSIN

You got his E-mail..

THANKS

Jeremy

11. Alex in Houston

12. boss311

modded eec

hey guys, bk meyers from nmra is now a member here at tm.com, do search to find his email addy. he can modify eec's for low imp. injectors, i know i had one he did the modification to. also, jeremy, can you get some more of those injectors?

13. Bellman Jeff

The problem with running very large high impedence injectors is that their very design makes them inferior and less acurate, when compaired to low impedence injectors.. Like I said, I was all ready to have a set of 36 pounders modified into some 72's.. Which ironicly, may be more acurate at high rpms than a set of high impedence 55's.. But nobody thought it was a good idea.. That's why I decided to "do the right thing" and get one of these... http://www.acceleronics.com/

Big high impedence injectors are slow responding, and become more inaccurate as the rpms rise.. Low impedence injectors, otherwise known as peak and hold.. Use a very high initial current, that snaps the large size injectors off their seat, then switches to a lower current to hold them open for the duration of the duty cycle.. With the low current used with high impedence injectors, coupled with higher fuel pressures used with high boost.. They have a hard time opening up..

14. PEARL MUSSIN

Re: modded eec

I just happen to stumble across them on the corral yesterday.... You can just buy some 36's and modify them..

Jeremy

15. Erik88GT

Do you think it really does all that whiz-bang stuff they talk about, or are there just a bunch of resistors in that box?
    Someone that has one needs to open one up.:D

Or you could buy 8 of these, they're less than $5 each:

16. Bellman Jeff

LOL..Well you hope that it does the wiz-bang stuff.. Cause remember.. They are peak "then hold".. You have to give them the high initial current to get them to open fast... Then you have to turn the current down to keep from burning them up..

17. Turbostangman

Not sure if it is that big of a deal. DSMs use High impedence drivers and low impedence injectors in conjuction with a simple resistor pack.

18. Bellman Jeff

All that is doing is taking low impedence injectors, and turning them into high impedence ones.. To protect the stock computers drivers.. It will make them lazy responding and inacurate at high rpms.. By operating them at a lower current than they were designed to work at..

But..With all that said.. You may be right about it not being a big deal.. Cause from everything I've read, batch fired injectors will make as much power as sequentially triggered ones.. So maybe having the best response time and accuracy, is not all that it's chalked up to be..

19. Alex in Houston

20. Erik88GT

Yeah, well you actually still do give them the same current. Without resistors, the current would actually be too high.

I have no first hand experience, but all that I've read about it says that is a myth. Besides, millions of Japanese cars that run at higher rpms than most V8s can't be wrong.

Yeah, that's what I think...

Someone needs to open up that box and see what's in it!