1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Some basic questions about boost level, detonation, and stock heads

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by davidl340, Jan 2, 2004.

1. davidl340

Got a few questions from a relatively newb.

OK, turning my boost up to the limit of pump gas + my stock heads. From what I've been told and what I've researched, It seems that the highest I can go is about 13 psi on 93 octane on the stock heads. Sound about right?

What would it be if I actually had decent flowing heads? I would imagine that the higher flowing heads would allow more air to flow at a lower pressure 'boost' therefore lower the amount of pressure needed to reach the limit of detonation, but I've got a feeling that I might be wrong about this.

What is the limitation on the stock heads? the head's deck warping causing head gasket failure?

In other words, when I start turning up the boost, just stop when I notice detonation, or are there other limitations with the stock heads? and if it is detonation, why is it more likely with stock (other than the heat disapation of steel) than an aftermarket?

Ex. my father runs approx. 13 lbs max boost non-intercooled, shouldn't I be able to do the same, if not more, with my more restrictive heads?

enlighten me.

2. davidl340

TTT

OK then, I just got the wideband cable from Innovative, going to start inching up the boost till a hint of detonation or 13lbs, whichever comes first.

3. 19COBRA93

It's really hard to say for sure as each car is different. Different fuel setups, computer tunes, etc. In general I would say you're right on with the 13 lbs. Though even the turbo may influence that. With my old 62-1 I could run 13 lbs on 91, but with my T70 I can only run 11 lbs with everything else being the same (but it makes the same power).

Definitely keep an eye on the wideband, and don't get greedy with timing at all.