1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

cost of custom con rods

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by drag lc, Jun 14, 2011.

1. drag lc

Hi,
    ive now got the price for getting 7 carrillo h beam conrods made to suit my eng they sound very expensive im willing to spend that on these conrods are they normally that dear? $2,500usd

Cheers

2. stangman9897

Why only 7 , do you have a 6 and want an extra rod or are you going to try to run an V8 on 7. LOL

3. 10secgoal

Any extra. Like buying 9 or 10 pistons. One goes, you don't have to wait forever for that ONE part to go back racing.

2500 is a high price, but custom means, "billet." And billet means pricing. IFf it's billet they can cut it to any length, width, and so one, which you can't easily do with cheaper forged rods. Billet rods start about 1300 and go up (non custom). Material will be a big factor as well. Billet non custom rods can cost 2500 in tool steel. hope it helps

4. drag lc

yes its a 6 i normaly buy 8 piston assys aswell.

yes ok im gathering they are billet for that price but they have made them to suit my aplication aswell.
    have asked why they are so expensive but i guess you get what you pay for though.

Cheers Hayden

5. Injected65

If your application will work with it, you might find better pricing with aluminum rods. Generally they are more cost effective when dealing with custom applications.

6. drag lc

well ive given them the go ahead to make these rods for me.

i am led to beleive that aluminium rods are to thick around the big end area and hit the camshaft so im told.

thanks for your help everyone.

Cheers Hayden

7. Bellman Jeff

Did you have the option of using a good rod for that motor.. Then going with custom pistons..

8. drag lc

nah not really there is cheap chinese rods available of the shelf for around $700ausd but they only come in std length.

plus ive already got ross making custom pistons to suit the combustion chamber shape as we used there pistons in the N/A engine before.

Cheers Hayden

9. munro

what are you doing for a crank?

10. drag lc

undecided on the crank as yet but it will be oem.

Cheers

11. mookandairin

alum rods are great but don't get used unless you know them or you have to have them checked for stretch and work hardening where they become brittle.it comes from the street.

12. Canadas lowest