1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

So Ihave been thinking about a separate oiling system for my twin set up.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by MonzaRacer, Jul 4, 2011.

1. MonzaRacer

I have been thinking ( I know smell the smoke) about trying something different. I have been reading about Aerocharger turbos and Comp using no engine fed oil and was thinking, had anyone ever set up a turbo with an external pump similar to STS remote set ups use, but use the Mobil 1 turbine oil like Aerochargers use, and an external cooler with small fan and maybe a them gauge.
    My theory is properly set up it should keep a little heat out of engine and let you use a thermostat on a fan to keep oil temp in check.
    Theories, opinions, but no rotten fruit thrown , please.
    Reason for the turbine oil is its high heat capabilities might work better.

2. mustang-junky

From the research I did when I did my rear mount, it would seem that fancy oil is not needed in a separate remote oil system. One pump to scavenge the oil, and one pump with a bypass back to the oil reservoir to feed the turbo(s). The regulator is used to limit the oil going to the turbo without burning up the pump.

Jess

3. wildcardfox

It's been done. Google "turbo stand alone oil." I can remember the exact keyword, but I saw it on a truck. It's interesting. I though about doing it, but two pumps to make it work made me walk away. I dont want to have to buy another pump unless i seriously have to.

4. 302f150

If your reservoir is below the turbo enough ti gravity feed you can use one pump. Odds are it won't be though. You can also slap a trans cooler or power steering cooler somewhere to cool the oil off. You don't NEED fancy oil but I doubt it will hurt. I run Mobil 1 full synthetic in my car.

5. sean

Have been using a separate oil system this summer. Single EXA pump after an oil reservoir under the turbo with an adjustable bypass line. The reservoir holds 4 Qts. Doesn't have a cooler on it. May add one later. Not sure what the oil temp is getting to. The oil pressure has been fine with some short trip street miles on it so far.

6. wildcardfox

Can you guys show a picture or draw up a diagram?

7. sean

8. wildcardfox