1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

So....do I need an FMU with stock engine/injectors and JY twin turbos?My car runs bad

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by twinturbowannabe91, Jan 29, 2005.

1. twinturbowannabe91

Recently finished putting twin turbos on my 91 Gt. Pretty much 100% stock down to the fuel system. I went on my first test run and since my fuel system is stock, I didn't get into the throttle at all...maybe just like 1/4 throttle, but I still saw about 3-4 pounds of boost, for just a second. My question is that now that I have the turbo setup on the car, my car runs like total CRAP all thru-out the driving range. Stumbles and stutters and just sounds like crap, like its starving for fuel sometimes, and then over fueled and about to stall at the light. Does this have anything to do with having a stock MAF on a turbo car? Tonight I installed a 190 lph pump but I haven't driven the car yet. Before I hear the lectures about "you shoulda put a 255 in", let it be known that I got this pump for free, I'm on an extreme budget, and I just want to get the car safely into the 6 psi zone, we're talking less than 300RWHP here, this is my stone stock school daily driver.

any recommendations on what I should do at this point in tuning the car and fixing up the fuel system for the minimum amount of money? I have a BBK fuel pressure regulater sitting on the shelf that I could install......should I install that and bump up the pressure a bit and run an FMU??? I found some FMU's on ebay really cheap, so this seems like a good route for me....or..??? Advice please, thanx.

2. Disney Lincoln

YOu need to change meters and injectors.

3. twinturbowannabe91

ttt ....anybody else have suggestions?? What about an FMU and stock injectors.>?

4. rustyford

I have been looking the past couple days on ebay and larger mass air meters and fuel injectors, seem to be going at a decent price. Many were found together in the same auction.

Have you wired the wastegates open and ran the car? If you can't get it to run right with the wastegates held open, then I don't think an FMU will help, as it doesn't affect fuel delivery under normal (no boost) driving conditions. Open the wastegates then go from there, its probably a wire somewhere or a vacuum leak, check all your vacuum lines, etc. Once you get it to run correctly with the turbos non functional, it should operate correctly with them functional.

You may wanna focus on getting another maf and larger injectors, you know eventually 5-8 psi will get boring and you will wanna crank it up a little more and more, having the larger injectors and maf will let you do this without having to mess with an FMU, besides even with the FMU the stock injectors can only be stretched so far.

Good luck

5. thetim

dont cut the corner on fuel with a boosted project. Go ahead and find a decent price on some bigger injectors and a meter.

6. twinturbowannabe91

WOOT!! just won some 30# injectors and a blow thru C@L 76mm mass air for $130 on ebay!! :D :D

7. thetim

hope they work =D congrats.

8. twinturbowannabe91

So will I need an FMU with the 30#ers and the MAF or is it going to be OK??

9. Disney Lincoln

I wouldnt trust it.

But you got them cheap enough. Maybe you could sell them for enough profit to get some decent sized ones. I think at LEAST a 36# would be in order, and a 42 would be better.

I'd hate to see ya smoke the motor because of too small an injector.

Oh and to answer your ariginal question... YES you would need an FMU to run those inj.

10. twinturbowannabe91

I just installed the injectors and MAF...car runs WORSE. WAY WORSE! @#$@ @#$@$@# @ @#$ #I'm so god damn pissed at my car right now, why can't anything every just work right. It starts up and idles beautifully, like better than it did with the 19 pound injectors and MAF, but when you go to drive it almost stalls and runs so bad that it pops through the intake when you give it any amount of throttle, and the exhaust is getting real hot. Running lean I'm guessing, according to my ghetto $50 O2 guage its all the way lean. If I need to buy new injectors, can I get 42 pound sample tube for this C&L 76 MM MAF to save me at least that??? My luck SUCKS.

11. mwatson

Could be a few different things.

-What is your timing set at? Sounds like you could be too retarded.
    -Could be a vac leak. Spray some starter fluid or brake cleaner around all all the vac lines while the car is running to search for vac leaks.
    -Wiring. Check and recheck the wiring, it's easy to miss something.
    -What is your base fuel pressure set at? Could be too low.

Don't let yourself get angry, once you figure it out you will be happy.

Marques

12. mwatson

bah just realized i'm a month late on this thread. Did you ever get her running right?

13. platedturbonotch

i think he flipped out?

14. twinturbowannabe91

I recently installed brand new 42# injectors and a C&L MAF and it runs pretty good. My biggest problem now is that hoses keep blowing off from the boost (10psi)