1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Sneak Peak at my turbo project...

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Bellman Jeff, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Bellman Jeff

Here's where I'm at with my build up..

For those of you that don't know.. A couple of years ago I bought "Bobo's" Cartech Outlaw Kit on a good deal with a bad T76 turbo.. He had the kit on a 302 based 347 stroker..

After getting the T76 rebuilt by Turbonetic, I sold it when I decided to go with a Precision PT88.. I also modified the Cartech kit to fit on a 351 size motor..

I've still got a lot more to do.. Like fab up my 4" exhaust.. And modify the tubing to and from the intercooler.. And I want to fab up an airbox for the turbo intake, that I'm going to seal to the hood with a NACA duct..

When I'm all done, I'm going to do a full writeup on the project.. With pictures of how I installed mini tubs, and narrowed the rear end..And a bunch of other stuff that was involved..

BTW.. I could of had this done years ago, if I hadn't got involved in buying and renovating rental property.. Man am I glad I sold out of that.. I didn't have time for anything else.. Like working on my Stang..

2. Andrew

Looks good! I really liked that turbo. It's a good unit.

3. Bellman Jeff

I got one because of the way YOUR car ran with it :D ...

4. svooh

Is that crossover pipe merging with the other collector at 90º ?!? :confused:

Everything else is absolutely awesome. :rockon:

5. Bellman Jeff

No... It's more like 87 degrees ;) .. This Cartech piping totally sucks.. But just looking at the pricing of other companies hot parts, set me back on my heels..

The cross over merge is not the worst part.. The passenger side header is a 1 5/8..The drivers side is a 1 3/4.. They both have the same flanges, but the pass side necked down quickly.. I made up a swedge, and heated the pipes up to open them to the flange size.. But there is no doubt, one day I'm going to change it..

Cartech claims some guy named "Turbo Don" went 159 mph with this kit and a T76... I would have liked to have seen THAT :rolleyes: ...

6. white95v6

everything looks good.

are those headers mild steel?? if so you better get that wrap off of them. i have had some bad experience with that crap. i wraped my mild steel headers with it. and i never drove the car in the rain. but that wrap holds sooo much mositure that it killed my headers in a month.