1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Manual brakes on the street.

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by bgjohnson, Mar 6, 2015.

1. bgjohnson

I'm weighing my options. I need to remove the giant brake booster for exhaust clearance and I'm either doing a hydro boost set or a manual brake setup. The car had cobra disc brakes 13 front/11.65 rears.

So who has manual brakes on the street. Pros and cons

2. 434chevelle

I run them with discs up front and drums on the rear. I don't pay enough attention to think about it while driving or having to stop really quickly, that should tell you something. Now when it had four wheel drums, that was a different story. It sucked slowing down from speed because of brake fade.

3. 99TTGT

drives like a champ if you do it rite.!

this is what I did:
    https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/339116-Manual-brakes-conversion

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  4. BlownShovel

I am running manual on my disc/drum combo w/o issues . I did start having some length of shutdown issues once above 135 - swapping out the 1990 vintage pads and shoes with some better performing Bendix (MKD I believe). Huge difference and now good to go. Have also had other manual car setups.

If hydroboost is an option I would use it. If not then a properly designed manual can work. In some cases the lever/pivot for the brake pedal ration need adjusted depending on master cylinder used.

5. Turbo-Box

I have them on my car and it's not bad. You get used to the increased pedal effort pretty quickly.

6. bgjohnson

7. bgjohnson

8. Hemann

9. yellowpony

I highly recommend looking at the Baer brake kit from MCJ50. I run that setup on my car with excellent results!

10. nj636

+1 on coordinating with Mike. He has been through multiple setups with Baer and is a wealth of knowledge.

He is helping me sort out the brake setup on my car.