1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Smoking issues.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by cmill16, Jul 24, 2022.

1. cmill16

Hey everyone. I purchased a 2014 Nissan 370z with a twin turbo kit built by a shop. The kit is essentially a gtr twin turbo setup, car makes 602 whp pushing 13lbs on each and its been a summertime daily with occasional spirited driving. I have had the car for a little over a year and have had no significant issues like I have had recently. The issues that I'm having is smoke after a WOT pull and being thrown into neutral, and even just leaving it in gear. I have pretty heavy smoke on decel, unless I make it "pop". The car does not smoke on startup, but will smoke at idle after revving up to roughly 4k rpm. I have popped off the intercooler and found some oil inside and I have cleaned air filters thoroughly. there is oil residue in front of the blow offs. I want to say it is a blocked oil drain from the turbo/turbos or blown turbo seals. I am also not very experienced with turboed cars, which brings me here. I appreciate any help or information, I am here to learn and not have to pay others to fix my problem.

2. B E N

Sounds like seals or drain issue. Make sure the drains aren't kinked/damaged. Check the compressor wheels for excess play.

3. Disney Lincoln

What are the drains made of? If they are a simple hose, they may have swelled shut.

4. F4K

Sounds like somebody disabled the pcv system. Are there breathers on the crankcase? The engine will smoke until OEM pcv is re-attached. If you post some pics we can look how its done. You should research how the OEM pcv is connected. Oil drain is a function of crankcase pressure which is a function of PCV.

Of course the hoses can be an issue, turbo placement, turbo angle, drain pan mods, windage, etc... there are a hundred other things that can cause your issues. But PCV is a central to them all.

5. Mnlx

What turbos? Oil feed, and drain size?